🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » DIFFICULT CLIENT :(
Page options
carolynboston
Community Member

DIFFICULT CLIENT :(

Hi guys,

I needed some serious help here. I've been working as a freelance writer for many years but this is the first time I have encountered such difficult client.

I've started working for him in November and so far, I've delivered 18 milestones for him. Yet, many times, he would call me out for my "poor quality of work" and sometimes, his words are just really insulting. I tried to ignore him but he would challenge me to respond and when I would explain my side, he would say I'm being defensive. 

I have no problem with editing my work just to satisfy him but what I don't want is how he communicates with me, that sometimes I would be triggered back to response with unpleasant words as well, which I don't like because it's just very unprofessional!

I have given my best in all of the articles I've written not only for him but for other clients as well. Sometimes, he would appreciate my work, but many times, he would call me out, and I don't know what to do anymore.

I have been very patient with him but it's already stressing me out. Like most of my clients, I want to keep my contract with him, but I don't really think it's worth it anymore. It's just too stressful and my health is more important 🙂

My question is - How can I end the contract without offending him? The last thing I want is to get a negative feedback from anyone. I'm trying to build an impressive profile.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Just like businesses have to fire bad employees, sometimes contractors have to "fire" bad clients. It sucks, but it happens.

If you've been paid for those previous milestones, the client honestly has no room to gripe, IMO. When you submit a milestone, they have fourteen days in which to request changes, or release the funds. If they released the funds, then that technically means they approve of the work, and it was done to their standards per the contract. My advice going forward would be to make sure that's explicitly clear in the initial contract that payment of a milestone constitutes acceptance of the submitted materials, and that said materials meet their standards for usability. Because again, they have fourteen days to review your work and ask you to make changes if there's a problem.

As for this particular client, you could start by asking them what parts of your articles they find lacking. If you think the criticism is valid, there's always the option of working to improve. I would also ask them to utilize the review period with the next milestone. If they feel what you've submitted isn't up to par, remind them that they are well within their rights to request changes instead of releasing the payment. That's what the review period is designed for. Then politely remind them that, going forward, releasing the funds for a particular milestone will be considered acceptance of the work as delivered, and that it meets their standards.

If it's just a simple communication issue between the two of you, then this could go a long way to solving it, and giving you both a good experience. Glowing feedback is great, but if the feedback (for you OR for them) shows that not only did you deliver, but you were willing to work through obstacles to make sure everything worked out, that speaks volumes.

Unfortunately, there's always the possibility that this client is just being difficult and demanding because they don't know what they want, and no amount of digging or inquiry by you will help them figure it out. In that case, they're likely to stay difficult and demanding, because they don't know how to fix their own issues. If that's true, your best bet would be to just cut them loose. You can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves. I would be direct, but polite. Inform them that due to the mutual incompatibility affecting your working relationship, you feel they would be better served by someone else. Deliver any remaining milestones you have in progress, and let them know that once those are submitted, you will no longer be working with them. A nice touch would be to wish them well, and show that you don't hold any ill will towards them. Basically a sort of "hey, this isn't working, so lets be adults and just quit while we're ahead."

As for the feedback, one difficult client isn't going to ruin your profile. It's like looking at online reviews for a product or a hotel. If you see scores of happy, satisfifed customers, and one or two low ratings, then it's a safe bet that it was just a couple of people who are impossible to please. For the most part, clients are going to look for a trend of positive interactions, not a spotless record. And if they ARE looking for a spotless record, then they might just turn into another impossible to please client.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Just like businesses have to fire bad employees, sometimes contractors have to "fire" bad clients. It sucks, but it happens.

If you've been paid for those previous milestones, the client honestly has no room to gripe, IMO. When you submit a milestone, they have fourteen days in which to request changes, or release the funds. If they released the funds, then that technically means they approve of the work, and it was done to their standards per the contract. My advice going forward would be to make sure that's explicitly clear in the initial contract that payment of a milestone constitutes acceptance of the submitted materials, and that said materials meet their standards for usability. Because again, they have fourteen days to review your work and ask you to make changes if there's a problem.

As for this particular client, you could start by asking them what parts of your articles they find lacking. If you think the criticism is valid, there's always the option of working to improve. I would also ask them to utilize the review period with the next milestone. If they feel what you've submitted isn't up to par, remind them that they are well within their rights to request changes instead of releasing the payment. That's what the review period is designed for. Then politely remind them that, going forward, releasing the funds for a particular milestone will be considered acceptance of the work as delivered, and that it meets their standards.

If it's just a simple communication issue between the two of you, then this could go a long way to solving it, and giving you both a good experience. Glowing feedback is great, but if the feedback (for you OR for them) shows that not only did you deliver, but you were willing to work through obstacles to make sure everything worked out, that speaks volumes.

Unfortunately, there's always the possibility that this client is just being difficult and demanding because they don't know what they want, and no amount of digging or inquiry by you will help them figure it out. In that case, they're likely to stay difficult and demanding, because they don't know how to fix their own issues. If that's true, your best bet would be to just cut them loose. You can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves. I would be direct, but polite. Inform them that due to the mutual incompatibility affecting your working relationship, you feel they would be better served by someone else. Deliver any remaining milestones you have in progress, and let them know that once those are submitted, you will no longer be working with them. A nice touch would be to wish them well, and show that you don't hold any ill will towards them. Basically a sort of "hey, this isn't working, so lets be adults and just quit while we're ahead."

As for the feedback, one difficult client isn't going to ruin your profile. It's like looking at online reviews for a product or a hotel. If you see scores of happy, satisfifed customers, and one or two low ratings, then it's a safe bet that it was just a couple of people who are impossible to please. For the most part, clients are going to look for a trend of positive interactions, not a spotless record. And if they ARE looking for a spotless record, then they might just turn into another impossible to please client.

Hi Michael, thank you for the response. Yup, I may have to initiate to end the contract with this clilent soon. He just recently offered me a new task but I politely declined saying I'm tied up with something else. I'm not sure if he's offended but I got no response from him. And yes, you're absolutely right - one difficult client isn't going to ruin your profile

Also, I'm already on my 10th week of qualifying for the Top Rated, so I may have to wait for a few weeks until I have the ''power'' to remove negative feedback 🙂

jr-translation
Community Member

If he wants to feel offended there is nothing you can do.

It sound like you have decided to stop working for this client. If it makes you feel better just do so. You cannot be forced to continue. You can let him know that you are no longer available due to other obligations.

You can also point out the User Agreement and Terms of Use if he starts insulting again. Report the client to UW so they can take actions.

You can close the contact and use your Top Rate perk to have the public feedback removed in necessary. Don't let him pressure you in any way. Make sure to give an honest feedback for other freelancers. That will be worth more in the long-run.

@Jennifer R wrote:

You can close the contact and use your Top Rate perk to have the public feedback removed in necessary.

What am I missing? She doesn't seem to be top rated so does not have the perk available.

Hi Petra, yup, I'm not a top rated yet, but I'm already working on it. I'm already in my tenth week so 3 weeks more 🙂 And yes, that's what I'm going to do - end the contract and hopefully, I'll become toprated so I'll have that feedback removed. Thanks!

@carolyn b wrote:

Hi Petra, yup, I'm not a top rated yet, but I'm already working on it. I'm already in my tenth week so 3 weeks more 🙂 And yes, that's what I'm going to do - end the contract and hopefully, I'll become toprated so I'll have that feedback removed. Thanks!

I would strongly suggest you wait until you ARE top-rated if possible.

The last thing you'll want is for this to push you below the 90% and not become top rated...

With bullies sometimes the best path forward is some gentle, firm, professional, polite bullying back. Bullies are usually cowards and back down with a dose of their own medicine 😉

If you are determined to fire the client, then as Petra suggests, consider the timing. Your expected top-rated perk does not extend back infinitely in time. It may be something like a two-week window after job termination.

For a client I was inclined to keep despite a random abusive message, my instinct goes to:
"I do not respond to the substance of messages written in such a tone. The next unprofessional communication I receive from you will be the last I ever read."

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

1) If you are determined to fire the client, then as Petra suggests, consider the timing. Your expected top-rated perk does not extend back infinitely in time. It may be something like a two-week window after job termination.

2) For a client I was inclined to keep despite a random abusive message, my instinct goes to:
"I do not respond to the substance of messages written in such a tone. The next unprofessional communication I receive from you will be the last I ever read."

1)  My point was that if this job drops her below 90% she will not GET to top rated status and will not get a perk. Once she gets top rated she can use the perk also for older jobs, my immediate concern is that it may prevent her from becoming top rated in the first place until she gets back above 90% AND catches up on the eligible weeks again which can take a long time.

2) Nice one! I also bite back when a client starts playing up. They usually back down...

@Petra R wrote:

Once she gets top rated she can use the perk also for older jobs, 

This surprises me. To the beginning of time?

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Once she gets top rated she can use the perk also for older jobs, 

This surprises me. To the beginning of time?

It would be completely pointless to remove a job that is more than 2 years old, and in almost all cases pointless to remove a job that is outside the 6 month window, but why not? To maximise the effect of the perk it makes sense to remove the biggest most recent negative factor.

I’m not arguing logic or propriety, Petra, only fact. I was under the distinct impression that there was a limited window of opportunity for exercising the feedback removal perk: x days after feedback is left. Since I don’t care enough to look it up, I’ll take your word that it’s not the case. Sorry if my hyperbolic question derailed the discussion. Best, Michael

Yes, I will have to wait til I'm toprated before ending the contract with him. Unfortunately, he is still bullying me. He wanted me to admit that my previous work is of poor quality and when I would reason out that I have written it based on his instructions, he would tell me I was being defensive and that I just don't want to admit my mistakes. I've had 18 milestones with this client already and he can't seem to move on with this one article. Smiley Very Happy

I ended up stalking his profile and I found out several writers had similar experience with this person, based on the feedback written on his profile. I normally would not read feedback when accepting contracts with clients, but because of this, I realize that it may be worth checking the client's profile before applying for jobs and accepting contracts.

Hello, Michael. Good to know you're still offering great advice.

Carolyn, if waiting two or three weeks to fire the client has some benefit, then wait. Fire him as soon as you can, and follow Michael's actions. The most recent client I fired was an enigma. I had done an hourly piece for him at a professional rate, we agreed on a scope of work and milestones for a much larger fixed price contract. He posted it, invitation only to me, as an hourly contract, and declined to change that to fixed price for reasons I came to understand. I jiggled the manual hours to deliver the first milestone at its agreed price. He missed the deadline for review, and two-plus months later had wasted 25 hours of my time in lengthy phone calls, changes for the book going forward, and treating the scopeof work as playdough. Still no review, no substance. I submitted an invoice at an effective rate of $2/hour for every wasted hour, and he told me to withdraw it and only invoice per the contract.

I not only withdrew the invoice, I refunded his first "milestone" payment, and fired him. I've had to do that about every six to nine months for twenty years, because I occasionally misjudge a client. Your two most valuable assets are your reputation and your sanity, in whichever order you wish. You can sacrifice one trying to save the other.

Hi Jennifer, thank you 🙂 I may have to end the contract with this client soon or once I become top rated so I'd have the ability to remove his feedback, if ever he'll give me a nasty one 🙂 I no longer find it healthy to be working for him. 

In the meantime, I'll focus on providing great work with some other clients who deserve my time. 

You're  not the only one who deals with difficult clients. I've had a rash of them lately. Had one offer me a lot more than the usual rate,  only to pull the job because I couldn't ESP what she wanted. Had another make an "offer", then went with another writer. Both of those I reported. Now I have a client who wants me to format my own writing to his site, but hasn't released the funds for the job. I've told him to release the funds before I do anything else. I don't know where all these unprofessional clients orginate, but they're becoming an irritation.

carolynboston
Community Member

There may be lots of difficult clients, but there are also good and understanding clients.

A client recently hired me without putting me in a test/trial. Silly me, I accepted the contract without even checking the details, etc.

After a couple of days into the contract, I realized the job is not really for me and that I can't deliver the type of work he needs.

So I've made a brave decision to end the contract and apologized to the client, telling him that I was wrong for accepting the contract and told him we should end it early on so he can find someone else who can work on the project. I ended the contract myself and returned the money on escrow. Then I prepared myself for another client who will rant and say nasty things or leave negative feedback. I'm somehow at fault so I have to accept the consequences.

Yet, I was wrong. He was very understanding and told me he appreciated my honesty and he wished me the best 🙂 Wow, I wish all clients are like him.