🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Declined a job offer -- ramifications?
Page options
placebofx
Community Member

Declined a job offer -- ramifications?

Hi Upworkers:

I am new to Upwork. I sent a proposal for a writing project where they didn't give any information about the topic ahead of time. The client contacted me and we exchanged a few messages. But only when the contract arrived did he reveal specifics that made me realize I would not be able to do an adequate job. I informed him of this and apologized for the inconvenience; then the proposal was declined and the contract withdrawn with the reason "freelancer no longer available". I take a lesson from this to avoid job descriptions that don't give you at least some general idea of the work/topic involved.

Does anyone know if declining a job offer is in and of itself a "ding" against your Upwork reputation? I have only done 2 jobs so far, both with 5-star feedback.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
msublette
Community Member

I don't think it matters at all.

Upon occasion, clients send me contracts without me sending a proposal and without ever having contacted me.  It seems like I get a string of them every few months.  I almost always decline them.  It hasn't affected my JSS or anything else as far as I can tell.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Annie T wrote:
Hi Upworkers:

I am new to Upwork. I sent a proposal for a writing project where they didn't give any information about the topic ahead of time. The client contacted me and we exchanged a few messages. But only when the contract arrived did he reveal specifics that made me realize I would not be able to do an adequate job. I informed him of this and apologized for the inconvenience; then the proposal was declined and the contract withdrawn with the reason "freelancer no longer available". I take a lesson from this to avoid job descriptions that don't give you at least some general idea of the work/topic involved.

Does anyone know if declining a job offer is in and of itself a "ding" against your Upwork reputation? I have only done 2 jobs so far, both with 5-star feedback.

Don't worry. Declining an offer has no consequence on any statistic or JSS. 

msublette
Community Member

I don't think it matters at all.

Upon occasion, clients send me contracts without me sending a proposal and without ever having contacted me.  It seems like I get a string of them every few months.  I almost always decline them.  It hasn't affected my JSS or anything else as far as I can tell.