🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Disagreements on edits
Page options
lindafoo
Community Member

Disagreements on edits

Hi all,
Looking for some advice here... How do you politely handle a client who disagrees with your edits and then decides that you’re ‘not a good fit’ midway through a project? This has happened to me twice now. In the first instance it was a really poor manuscript and I stood my ground. I suggested cancelling the contract with no payment. Left a bad taste in my mouth though (the client was also pretty rude and condescending, so I was happy to escape). Current situation is more of a stylistic issue-although the client is fluent in English, the language is awkward. And my edits have not gone down well. Do I bow out graciously? I’ve politely explained and justified my changes but I don’t want to have to complete the project while agonising over every word. Chalk it up to experience? Any advice appreciated!! I must admit that as I’ve only recently managed to claw my way back to a decent JSS, I do feel a bit vulnerable...
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was in the same place recently. Unfortunately, there is little you can do. There are people who take certain types of edits as a personal affront. If there are small changes you can revert to make them happier (even if that makes your teeth hurt), you might want to do that. It at least shows them they’re still in control and that you’re listening to them.

Otherwise, I’d say as little as possible.  The more you say, the more you open up the possibility for further disagreement. And it isn’t inevitable you’ll get bad feedback.

And I suggest you raise your rates. The more people pay, the more likely they are to trust you.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

They paid you to do your job, not to pander to their linguistic deficiencies. Ask them to pay for work you've done. If you've done half let them pay half. Use the button.

I hear you:-) it’s a nice client though and I’ve been paid so it’s not really the money issue that I’m worried about. More how to agree to disagree politely and not get negatively reviewed because of it. Was hoping someone had a standard breaking up line I could use:-)

I was in the same place recently. Unfortunately, there is little you can do. There are people who take certain types of edits as a personal affront. If there are small changes you can revert to make them happier (even if that makes your teeth hurt), you might want to do that. It at least shows them they’re still in control and that you’re listening to them.

Otherwise, I’d say as little as possible.  The more you say, the more you open up the possibility for further disagreement. And it isn’t inevitable you’ll get bad feedback.

And I suggest you raise your rates. The more people pay, the more likely they are to trust you.

wescowley
Community Member

Ultimately, it's their book.  One way to approach is to say something along the lines of "I see now you're looking for a lighter copyedit, I'll focus on grammar, spelling, and punctuation."  You can still make suggestions on really awkward sentences, but maybe keep those to comment bubbles - "this might read more smoothly as ..."

And, yeah, what Kim said.  Start bumping your rates up.

Thanks all, really constructive advice. Much appreciated... but based as I am, in South Africa, I’m wary of upping my rates. Job pickings are slim. There are loads that I’m excluded from bidding on.

And just as an aside, my JSS dropped from 100% to 90% today. How does that happen when no closed contracts were evaluated this week?

Thanks for that info. Aah well, can’t win them all I guess!
lindafoo
Community Member

Thanks for the advice. I just find it so tricky when I get feedback that my edit made it read clumsily. When I know it’s an improvement on what was originally written. Guess it’s not a good fit after all and I should allow for a percentage of these to cross my path...

re: "Guess it’s not a good fit after all and I should allow for a percentage of these to cross my path... "

Exactly.

Very wise.

Not every freelancer/client pairing is meant to be.

This is one of the most important things that any Upwork client or freelancer can learn.

LIN F wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I just find it so tricky when I get feedback that my edit made it read clumsily. When I know it’s an improvement on what was originally written. Guess it’s not a good fit after all and I should allow for a percentage of these to cross my path...

Yep. And when it turns out to be a less-than-ideal fit but you get paid anyway and the client isn't vocally unhappy, then it's a definite win!

Lin, referencing your comment about "jobs you are excluded from". Just because a job is listed as US only does NOT mean you can not bid on it.  It's all about selling yourself as the perfect fit for the buyer's needs .... in the first few lines of your proposal.  

I’ve clicked on quite a few jobs and it says ‘you can’t proceed because this job is not available to users in your location.’
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi LIN,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report, including a link of the job post you're experiencing this issue with. I'll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
lindafoo
Community Member

Will do, thanks very much. This does not come up in my feed, btw, it’s when I click on ‘similar jobs’.

Thanks Wendy-pls see pic below.