cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to wait for client to issue me a milestone in order to start work?

Highlighted
Yasmin K Member Since: Nov 5, 2016
1 of 7

Hi,

I have a question about the issuance of milestone and contract from client's end. I'm fairly new and my very first client issued me a milestone and a contract from his end. So that was a clear green light for me to start work.

But recently I have received another job with a new client and have discussed payment terms via the upwork message system and we have both agreed to the terms.

I'm basically ready to start work and have already asked if he will be issuing the milestone and contract. It has been 2 days now. So far he has been responsive but has not answered my question on the milestone and contract.

What should I do?

Yasmin

Highlighted
Community Guru
Khurram J Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 7

If client is not replying then it is a RED light, It could be a spam or what we call a "client from hell" but maybe he just got busy, In anyway it is a RED ligh to stop and wait  untill client assign you milestone.

I just checked you are a writer If you browse old forum posts you will see dozens of cases where writer provided content without being assigned a milstone and then client just flew away. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
3 of 7

Do NOT work until at least the first milestone has been funded.

Highlighted
4 of 7

Thanks Khurram J!

I forgot to mention, that this is a client requesting me to write a test article, which he agreed to pay. Even so, is it best to still wait for a milestone?

Yasmin

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 7

Yes. A paid test is a separate contract, so you still wait for the milestone to be set up and funded! Your client can keep this contract open, but will have to fund another milestone for the start of the job proper.

Highlighted
6 of 7

Thanks Nicola!

I'll keep this in mind.

Have a great day!

Highlighted
Cheryl R W Member Since: Nov 28, 2016
7 of 7

This was reaaly good advice from someone who obviously has experience.  Thank you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS