🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Dodgy editing/proofreading job
Page options
colettelewis
Community Member

Dodgy editing/proofreading job

I'm hoping a mod will pick up on this post so that I can forward the deets. But as a general warning: 

I had an invitation to join an editing site with impossible stipulations, which it would seem, can only benefit the site owner (if that). Anyway the client has hired two people on Upwork - one appears to be ongoing (as from yesterday) and the other was paid $1.50 for her pains. 70 people were invited - 50 apparently did not answer. 1 hire (actually 2). I received the invite at 2.25 a.m. and when I got around to answering it the job had been closed (perhaps, with luck, delisted). 

The "client", who claims to be in the UK (even on his/her site) is actually in a completely different time zone. There is a section on the site that states they are  targeting 300 professional editors on Upwork, who will then be paid via PayPal. The "client" also has an Upwork freelancer account. 

Just a Sunday morning  heads up. 🙂 

8 REPLIES 8
luce-neidert
Community Member

Nichola L wrote:

I'm hoping a mod will pick up on this post so that I can forward the deets. But as a general warning: 

I had an invitation to join an editing site with impossible stipulations, which it would seem, can only benefit the site owner (if that). Anyway the client has hired two people on Upwork - one appears to be ongoing (as from yesterday) and the other was paid $1.50 for her pains. 70 people were invited - 50 apparently did not answer. 1 hire (actually 2). I received the invite at 2.25 a.m. and when I got around to answering it the job had been closed (perhaps, with luck, delisted). 

The "client", who claims to be in the UK (even on his/her site) is actually in a completely different time zone. There is a section on the site that states they are  targeting 300 professional editors on Upwork, who will then be paid via PayPal. The "client" also has an Upwork freelancer account. 

Just a Sunday morning  heads up. 🙂 

So discouraging... I keep flagging offers for "rewriting" jobs. The new text has to pass plagiarism detectors, I wonder why. And then I look at the client's record and notice that he has had tons of those jobs done before.   Smiley Sad

re: "I keep flagging offers for 'rewriting' jobs."

Why?

(Genuinely wondering.)

Preston H wrote:

Why?

(Genuinely wondering.)

Really? 

Do you really find it normal for people to openly ask freelancers to steal intellectual property stuff?

Luce N wrote:

Preston H wrote:

Why?

(Genuinely wondering.)

Really? 

Do you really find it normal for people to openly ask freelancers to steal intellectual property stuff?

Content spinning is very normal in the low-end SEO and content marketing world. It's generally looked down upon by professionals, but it also generally involves no theft of intellectual property, since neither ideas nor information are copyrightable or otherwise subject to ownership. It's the form of expression that's protected, and the form of expression that the client is asking the freelancer to change. 

A successful article rewrite is no more theft of intellectual property than me telling you in my own words what happened in a movie would be.

JoanneP

Hi Nichola,

Please share the job post link so I can check. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne,

I have pm'd you with the details. 

iacob_irina
Community Member

I just came across a job description in which the client said to just copy the content from other sites. Can you beat that? 

But do people have no shame these days, anymore? No fear of consequences?

Just hope you have flagged the job description!