Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Dodgy editing/proofreading job

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
1 of 9

I'm hoping a mod will pick up on this post so that I can forward the deets. But as a general warning: 

 

I had an invitation to join an editing site with impossible stipulations, which it would seem, can only benefit the site owner (if that). Anyway the client has hired two people on Upwork - one appears to be ongoing (as from yesterday) and the other was paid $1.50 for her pains. 70 people were invited - 50 apparently did not answer. 1 hire (actually 2). I received the invite at 2.25 a.m. and when I got around to answering it the job had been closed (perhaps, with luck, delisted). 

 

The "client", who claims to be in the UK (even on his/her site) is actually in a completely different time zone. There is a section on the site that states they are  targeting 300 professional editors on Upwork, who will then be paid via PayPal. The "client" also has an Upwork freelancer account. 

 

Just a Sunday morning  heads up. Smiley Happy 

 

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
2 of 9

Nichola L wrote:

I'm hoping a mod will pick up on this post so that I can forward the deets. But as a general warning: 

 

I had an invitation to join an editing site with impossible stipulations, which it would seem, can only benefit the site owner (if that). Anyway the client has hired two people on Upwork - one appears to be ongoing (as from yesterday) and the other was paid $1.50 for her pains. 70 people were invited - 50 apparently did not answer. 1 hire (actually 2). I received the invite at 2.25 a.m. and when I got around to answering it the job had been closed (perhaps, with luck, delisted). 

 

The "client", who claims to be in the UK (even on his/her site) is actually in a completely different time zone. There is a section on the site that states they are  targeting 300 professional editors on Upwork, who will then be paid via PayPal. The "client" also has an Upwork freelancer account. 

 

Just a Sunday morning  heads up. Smiley Happy 

 


So discouraging... I keep flagging offers for "rewriting" jobs. The new text has to pass plagiarism detectors, I wonder why. And then I look at the client's record and notice that he has had tons of those jobs done before.   Smiley Sad

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 9

re: "I keep flagging offers for 'rewriting' jobs."

 

Why?

 

(Genuinely wondering.)

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
4 of 9

Preston H wrote:

re: "I keep flagging offers for 'rewriting' jobs."

 

Why?

 

(Genuinely wondering.)


Really? 

 

Do you really find it normal for people to openly ask freelancers to steal intellectual property stuff?

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 9

Luce N wrote:

Preston H wrote:

re: "I keep flagging offers for 'rewriting' jobs."

 

Why?

 

(Genuinely wondering.)


Really? 

 

Do you really find it normal for people to openly ask freelancers to steal intellectual property stuff?


Content spinning is very normal in the low-end SEO and content marketing world. It's generally looked down upon by professionals, but it also generally involves no theft of intellectual property, since neither ideas nor information are copyrightable or otherwise subject to ownership. It's the form of expression that's protected, and the form of expression that the client is asking the freelancer to change. 

 

A successful article rewrite is no more theft of intellectual property than me telling you in my own words what happened in a movie would be.

Moderator
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
6 of 9

Hi Nichola,

 

Please share the job post link so I can check. Thank you!


-Joanne
Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 9

Hi Joanne,

 

I have pm'd you with the details. 

 

 

Ace Contributor
Irina I Member Since: Nov 4, 2012
8 of 9

I just came across a job description in which the client said to just copy the content from other sites. Can you beat that? 

 

But do people have no shame these days, anymore? No fear of consequences?

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
9 of 9

Just hope you have flagged the job description!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS