🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Doing field survey
Page options
caoileclaire
Community Member

Doing field survey

I would like to know how a freelance writer can conduct a field survey?

I am asking this question because I would like to know if I can incorporate in my working method for data collection, besides internet research,  the process of field survey or personal/telephone interviews, whenever my client requests me to write about a certain topic.

Sometimes it is good to get some information "straight from the horse' mouth". However, in this sort of data collection process, you need to present yourself as a recognized or juridical entity to conduct the survey or the interview. How do you go about this, especially when your client does not specifically require you to do this?

I hope my question is understandable. Thanks in advance.

Claire

8 REPLIES 8
lysis10
Community Member

You could search for freelance writers who blog about their work and ask for an interview. I'm sure youll find plenty who will oblige.

caoileclaire
Community Member

Thank you, I'll try to do that now.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Hi, Claire. As someone who has spent more than 20 years mastering the skills and techniques required to do top-notch primary research, I would encourage you not to bill yourself as a professional researcher unless you have the experience. If you are talking about interviewing 1-2 knowledgeable individuals to gain insight about a particular topic that you are writing about, that's one thing. But if you mean conducting a survey in which you systematically collect data from a specifically defined sample of people and report it as quantitative results, e.g., "x% of those queried said y" then there is a whole professiona built on that. If you don't have that skill set, then you (and your client) would be better served by working with someone who does. 

Best of luck!

Phyllis beat me to it. If you have to ask this question in this forum, you are not ready to take on that kind of work, unless it's for an ongoing client who is aware that you are learning on his dime.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I would like to know how a freelance writer can conduct a field survey?"

You are not allowed to conduct surveys in the Forum, but you are indeed allowed to conduct surveys on the main site at www.upwork.com.

On Upwork, I have participated in field surveys as both a respondent and a survey taker.

As a respondent, I was paid a small amount of money ($5 to $15.00) to answer questions. These surveys were done using web-based surveys or by phone.

As a sponsor of a survey, I provided detailed surveys to respondents and simply paid them their posted hourly rate to participate in the survey by answering written questions. I allowed each respondent one hour and I was able to collect a large number of responses from dozens of freelancers in a specialized field.

caoileclaire
Community Member

Thanks for all your replies. So far, what I'm really interested in is to know how a freelance writer can introduce herself or himself to the entity or person that she or he wishes to interview or ask information from, given that he or she is not under the banner of any organization or company. 

Besides, I am referring to surveys and interviews outside Upwork. 

Has anyone done something like this before?

re: "Thanks for all your replies. So far, what I'm really interested in is to know how a freelance writer can introduce herself or himself to the entity or person that she or he wishes to interview or ask information from, given that he or she is not under the banner of any organization or company."

Claire:

Thank you for clarifying.

That is not a survey.

That is a legitimate question to discuss here in the Forum.

I suggest you do a search for this topic using various key words. After that, if you have further questions, just post your questions right here.

@Claire C wrote:

Thanks for all your replies. So far, what I'm really interested in is to know how a freelance writer can introduce herself or himself to the entity or person that she or he wishes to interview or ask information from, given that he or she is not under the banner of any organization or company. 

Besides, I am referring to surveys and interviews outside Upwork. 

Has anyone done something like this before?

Claire, I'm confused by the assertion that you're not "under the banner of any organization or company." Are you not doing work for someone? Or, if not, are you not preparing something for publication? 

Unless you are conducting surveys and interviews merely to satisfy your own curiosity, you have a vehicle for introduction. The right way to phrase that will depend on what you are doing and why. For example:

-I'm conducting research for a client in the disposable bootie industry, and I'd like to...

-I'm working on an article about changing views on the importance of mosquitos, and I was hoping you'd be willing to answer a few questions...

If you can explain what type of people you're approaching and the general reason, we can probably help more.