cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: English Native or Bilingual : did you notice a change?

corati
Community Guru
Corinne L Member Since: Jun 3, 2013
1 of 23

I just noticed something strange : I've applied to 2  English-French translation jobs and both of them had "English native or bilingual" as preferred qualifications. Well I applied anyway and it told me "you don't meet the criteria" or something like that.

Then I took a look at 2 other English-French translation jobs and they also required "English native or bilingual". Well, I don't understand. Why would clients require an English native to translate to French? Is this the default setting?

I'm wondering if this is why I'm receiving invites but never for English to French translations.

Did you notice the same thing for other languages?

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 23

I've noticed that, it happens at times. Those clients have no idea at all how translation works. I just ignore those posts.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
corati
Community Guru
3 of 23

Hi René, since it was 4 jobs out of 5 which required English native, I thought this was maybe a new default setting. I was really interested in one of the jobs, that's why I still applied... but to no avail!

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 23

OK, I spotted few of those but it doesn't seem that they were so many. Sure thing is, you want to yell at those clients :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 23

The default for the English level is "any"

English level.jpg

corati
Community Guru
6 of 23

Thanks Petra! I was thinking (and hoping) that they didn't do this on purpose, but obviously I was wrong!

corati
Community Guru
7 of 23

Well, I can't believe it, I just saw a job offer for the proofreading of a text which has been translated from German to French and they want an English native! How come? This is impossible! They are not crazy!

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
8 of 23

@Corinne L wrote:

Well, I can't believe it, I just saw a job offer for the proofreading of a text which has been translated from German to French and they want an English native! How come? This is impossible! They are not crazy!

I disagree.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
9 of 23

@Reinier B wrote:

@Corinne L wrote:

I disagree.

Insufficient data. However, they are stupid ignorant. 

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
10 of 23

@Corinne L wrote:

Hi René, since it was 4 jobs out of 5 which required English native, I thought this was maybe a new default setting. I was really interested in one of the jobs, that's why I still applied... but to no avail!

Corinne, the problem here - which I don't tire talking about - is that clients can only select native/bilingual English because other options/languages don't exist. As if English were the only language that matters on a global platform. 

Contrary to what Tiffany believes, I don't think that those clients want to make sure they find a native English speaker to translate their content into spotless French or German. They merely want to emphasize the fact that they are looking for a NATIVE *insert language* speaker. More often than not, the requirement (native German etc.) is part of the job title and/or job description. Clients check that box because the level of proficiency is important to them. 

I have been complaining about this for a very long time. Because, at first glance, it makes self-assigned native/bilingual English speakers (and many lie about their proficiency anyway) appear as the better candidates for language jobs they might not be qualified to take on. It puts everybody else at an immediate disadvantage. Just like the new location filter does...