cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra fast translation

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
1 of 15

This is very suspicious. Yesterday evening, this client was offering an IDEAL FOR NEWCOMER English French translation job. Short dialogues, 15 000 to 17 000 words. They must have found a very efficient translator, as the same company is now offering another IDEAL FOR NEWCOMER job, this time it's proofreading the 15 000 to 17 000 words.

In my opinion, they've just decided it was cheaper to have some machine translation do the job and now want some naive newcomer to spend hours checking it.

I have noticed that more and more clients are offering this type of proofreading : they use some CAT to have a "translation" done, they then expect someone to go over it for cheap. I myself use a CAT and know that unless it's supervised by someone that knows what they're doing, a CAT translation is worthless.

And now I wonder if I should spend some connects to inform those "smart" clients that translators haven't been replaced by machine translators yet.

Ace Contributor
Maria P Member Since: Jul 14, 2019
2 of 15

Did they hire anyone for that translation job? Is it possible that someone they hired just used the machine translation?

Community Guru
3 of 15

Maria P wrote:

Did they hire anyone for that translation job? Is it possible that someone they hired just used the machine translation?

Why not? 15 000  to 17 000 could be translated by a machine in less than 10 hours. I'd love to see the result.

Community Guru
Hieu T Member Since: Aug 11, 2017
4 of 15

May be they were proactive and wanted to hire a proofreader first, and only assign the proofreading work to him after they got the translation?

Hieu T

Vietnamese translator
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 15

Hieu T wrote:

May be they were proactive and wanted to hire a proofreader first, and only assign the proofreading work to him after they got the translation?

That is the usual workflow, I've been invited to two such projects in the last 7 days, clients dividing a project up into translation and proofreading phases.

That said, I have looked at enough texts-to-be-proofread that were clearly machine translated (by the client or a fake freelancer) to know Luce has a point.

Community Guru
6 of 15

Hieu T wrote:

Why not... anyway, they were offering $150 to translate between 15 000 and 17 000 words. So maybe they got what they wanted: some horrible machine translation, and now they're looking for someone  who is going to go nuts trying to fix the "translation".

Saeed N Member Since: Aug 13, 2019
7 of 15
Yeah, maybe they are just too smart for their own good!
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
8 of 15

Luce N wrote:

This is very suspicious. Yesterday evening, this client was offering an IDEAL FOR NEWCOMER English French translation job. Short dialogues, 15 000 to 17 000 words. They must have found a very efficient translator, as the same company is now offering another IDEAL FOR NEWCOMER job, this time it's proofreading the 15 000 to 17 000 words.

In my opinion, they've just decided it was cheaper to have some machine translation do the job and now want some naive newcomer to spend hours checking it.

I have noticed that more and more clients are offering this type of proofreading : they use some CAT to have a "translation done", they expect someone to go over it for cheap. I myself use a CAT and know that unless it's supervised by someone that knows what they're doing, a CAT translation is worthless.

And now I wonder if I should spend some connects to inform those "smart" clients that translators haven't been replaced by machine translators yet.

Well, any jobs that ideal for a newbie is un-ideal for me... I've also seen a number of those. Sometimes they say outright that they machine-translated the job themselves and now need a proof-reader. Oh well. I chuckle at these jobs and the unfortunate newbie that had to translate the text from scratch or deliver a non-sensical jumble of words. 

Community Guru
9 of 15

Martina P wrote:

Luce N wrote:

I have noticed that more and more clients are offering this type of proofreading : they use some CAT to have a "translation done", they expect someone to go over it for cheap. I myself use a CAT and know that unless it's supervised by someone that knows what they're doing, a CAT translation is worthless.

Well, any jobs that ideal for a newbie is un-ideal for me... I've also seen a number of those. Sometimes they say outright that they machine-translated the job themselves and now need a proof-reader. Oh well. I chuckle at these jobs and the unfortunate newbie that had to translate the text from scratch or deliver a non-sensical jumble of words. 

I never bother to apply to such jobs. First because checking machine translation takes much longer than translating. Second because I would feel like screaming at the nonsence the machine has come up with and this would be bad for my blood pressure. Third because I love translating but hate proofreading anyway.

But yes, I can imagine the poor newbie dealing with the jumble of words. Sorry for his luck!

Saeed N Member Since: Aug 13, 2019
10 of 15
Well, in this case I personally grant them the credit of being honest and upfront.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS