cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Employer

Eric L Member Since: Jan 12, 2017
1 of 4

What good does it do to flag a job for fraud if UpWork allows it to stay???  The employer is a blatant thief.  Claims to be **Edited for Community Guidelines**.  Gives me a Google Hangouts username to connect with, and that person has a picture of a **Edited for Community Guidelines** lifted off LinkedIn as his avatar and proceeds to claim to be that lady - except he didn't know I'd researched her before the call, so when he posts biographical info about himself and gets her info wrong, I know he's lying.  But I play along, and sure enough, he tries to get me to work for a week with a promise that I'd get paid at the end of the week.  I ask him how I can be assured of being paid, and he just says "trust me."  I then describe how scammers rip off writers that way, and he disappears.

I then contacted **Edited for Community Guidelines** and the VP's secretary confirms that she's not trying to hire any writers or conducting online interviews on Google Hangouts.  So, I flag the job post, but it doesn't give you the ability to provide all the evidence of fraud.  And, the job post is still online, so he's still ripping off writers.

It occurs to me that UpWork may actually be the scammer.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 4

yeah tbh unless it's blatant I don't bother reporting

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 4

Eric, you're familiar with the expression "the wheels of justice turn slowly"? Well, Upwork is like that. So if you need instant results, then don't flag jobs, and certainly don't bother researching and calling up HR people at big B&M companies, because I've yet to hear of a legit job posted through Upwork by a big company, other than Upwork itself. Doesn't mean such jobs do not exist, but if they do, they would be needles in the haystack, in my opinion.

4 of 4

Hi Eric,

I'll forward your report to the team and they will take actions against this job posting and the client's account as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS