🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: German Usage
Page options
allergywriter
Community Member

German Usage

I'm writing an article in English that will be translated into German and distributed in Germany.

Do Germans use the phrase "X is king"? 

Such as "cash is king"  "content is king"

I don't want to make the translators job harder by using phrases that don't translate well.

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Cheryl K wrote:

I'm writing an article in English that will be translated into German and distributed in Germany.

I don't want to make the translators job harder by using phrases that don't translate well.

Thanks!

You would be actually doing a disservice if you try to dumb down (or change) your language to accomodate a translator. Well written texts translate well, and its the translators job to convey the meaning. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Cheryl K wrote:

Only "Customer is king" - "Der Kunde ist König"

Don't worry too much about making the translators job more fifficult, a good translator will find an equivalent phrase that says the same thing. It's half the fun of translating 🙂

Many phrases / idioms translate very badly and have to be swapped rather than translated. That is what "separates the men from the boys" (another phrase you would never translate.)

As long as your client picks a good translator, don't worry about it. Use the most fitting phrase and the translator will use the best way to handle it.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Cheryl K wrote:

Thanks!

You would be actually doing a disservice if you try to dumb down (or change) your language to accomodate a translator. Well written texts translate well, and its the translators job to convey the meaning. 

versailles
Community Member

I agree with everyone else. Forget the translator. Just write. If you're a good writer, a good translator will love you.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless