๐Ÿˆ
ยป Groups ยป Writers & Translators ยป Forum ยป Re: Getting Started
Page options
allgaind
Community Member

Getting Started

Hi, I'm relatively new to upwork. I've been writing for four years but I've not really done any serious work. I just write on wattpad and blog for now. Quite unfortunately for me, Since I joined upwork, I've not even received a response to my proposal.
The thing is, I'm in school and I really need the money. I've studied English and as far as I can judge, my work (especially the ones that I sent to prospective clients) is up to standard.
Is there anything else I have to do? I just need advice in general.
12 REPLIES 12
lysis10
Community Member

This isn't a good place for fast money. Everyone I know who needed money fast sold a bunch of stuff on ebay. You can also sell stuff on Amazon. One man's trash is another man's treasure. My friend made $2k cleaning out his closet. He said people would buy his old hats and things.

This place is not a good place for fast money. It took me a year on Elance to finally get a flow and some months were pretty scarey.

This  is quite helpful being a newbie on Upwork!1

allgaind
Community Member

Thanks for your advice. I think I'll try it out. I was just hoping I'd get some other advice on how to survive and thrive here.
ravi_iitian
Community Member

@Allgain D wrote:
Hi, I'm relatively new to upwork. I've been writing for four years but I've not really done any serious work. I just write on wattpad and blog for now. Quite unfortunately for me, Since I joined upwork, I've not even received a response to my proposal.
The thing is, I'm in school and I really need the money. I've studied English and as far as I can judge, my work (especially the ones that I sent to prospective clients) is up to standard.
Is there anything else I have to do? I just need advice in general.

Are you serious?

Overview.png

"Certa bonum certamen"

well that'll teach me to skip the view profile step

tlbp
Community Member

There are videos and other instructional materials available in the New to Upwork section and elsewhere. You should begin by learning how to write a profile page. Then choose quality works to display and study how to make proposals. There is no more to surviving than that, study what you need to know and apply it. 

datasciencewonk
Community Member

Add contract management on top of getting your profile up and running (a writer with no profile copy?) and...

No, this isn't the place for quick cash.

It's easier to crash and burn than it is to get the cash flow going (for most, not all). 

How did you even submit any proposals? You don't have a profile?

If you are still in school and under 18, you are not permitted to have a profile on Upwork.

re: "I'm in school and I really need the money."

Jennifer is right.

This is the LAST place anybody should go if they need money quickly.

Working on Upwork is about lifestyle. It is NOT a way for entry-level people such as the original poster to maximize income or to start earning money quickly.

If you're here because you don't really care about money and primarily want to be your own boss and set your own schedule... that's good. You can work with that... and if you're patient, build up to earning significant income. But if you simply need money, then pretty much every other possible way to earn money is a better way to go.

allgaind
Community Member

Thanks. I just recently noticed that part of an incomplete profile. I'm actually working on that now. About the place being the Last place to make quick cash, I think I'd like to find my feet here slow and steady. I'm working on the profile. Thanks for your advice.
allgaind
Community Member

OK, so I've gone as far as I can go for now with my profile. What do you think?๐Ÿ˜†