cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Getting a decent article writing job!

love_to_work888
Rommel Q Member Since: May 18, 2017
1 of 17

Hi Upwork Community/Family, Smiley Wink

I am new to this platform, so please bare with me if I am sharing this rudimentary concern. Lately, I got hired by two employers. My tasks are basically to write blogs for a gardening website in the US and the other is for a news website based in Canada. Both clients are professionals and I am happy with the way things are going on. 

However, I still have extra time and I want to utilize it; so I decided to apply for more article writing jobs. Though many clients want to hire me sadly their offers are very low e.g. $2 - 500 words or $5 - 1000. It is just frustrating to see these kinds of offers, so I declined them. I just dont know how they come up with such rates considering the time, money and energy that a dedicated writer has to invest to produce high-quality articles. 

On the other hand, some employers offer lucrative rates but many have hired employees already. Others only want writers from the Americas, Others want a very quick turn-around-time for the submission of articles. Right now I am still trying to examine where did I fall short? Is my rate too high? Have I not pleased high-paying employers during interviews? I just want to know straighforward tips to really maximize my employablity! To get a win-win deal for me and the clients. Please do help me. 

Sincerely, 

Rommel 

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 17

1. Choose a specific writing niche. 

2. In your profile overview, state specifically what type of writing you do towards the TOP. If you've written for digital publications, you should understand how digital readers digest information. As it stands now, your profile overview doesn't represent that understanding. 

View solution in original post

love_to_work888
3 of 17

Hi Kat C., 

Thanks for the reply, it helps a lot. I will try to revise my profile overview to show a more detailed writing niche and target clients. I do a lot of paper writing for the academe but less for online readers. I am still trying to understand how to become an effective blogger. I need to keep up with the digital age. This requires more studies in the coming days.

Sincerely, 

Rommel 

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
4 of 17

@Rommel Q wrote:

Hi Kat C., 

Thanks for the reply, it helps a lot. I will try to revise my profile overview to show a more detailed writing niche and target clients. I do a lot of paper writing for the academe but less for online readers. I am still trying to understand how to become an effective blogger. I need to keep up with the digital age. This requires more studies in the coming days.

Sincerely, 

Rommel 

Hi Rommel!

It can be a bit of a mental switch to blogging versus academic writing. I'm an academic and technical writer through and through.

Much of what is posted here on UPwork in terms of blogging jobs are the fast, quick, quippy types of material where they want to be sales-y, but not obnoxiously so. 

This isn't 100% the case, of course. There are other successful writers in the forums who have, wisely, targeted their niche and found a comfortable spot for merging their expertise and the world of blogging.

Don't hesitate to query clients who interview you. With writing contracts, scope creep and misunderstanding as to the tone and length of the different types of writing can easily arise.

I had a recent client who wanted an informational article of 1000 - 1500 words. When their marketing department got a hold of it, they changed their tune and decided on a different tone. Said client was still learning the detailed differentials between a blahg (yep, that's my name for them) and an in-depth article. This isn't to say that blahgs can't be "in-depth." Their tone has a different purpose for the digital reader. The perky, overly effusive, bubbly blahg tone doesn't carry very well for certain topics and lengths of writing. 

Much luck to you!

love_to_work888
5 of 17

Hi Kat, 

I did some changes on my profile overview and cover letter. I am more detailed and focused now. This gave prospect clients a clearer glimpse of my specific market niche. Definitely you are right, I have to stick with my expertise. Luckily, I made some updates and I did get a new client. So far my clients are happy and are willing stick with me, I might stick with them for a couple of months or more, hopefully. I am glad I dropped by this side of Upwork - A great community indeed!

God Bless You! 

Sincerely, 

Rommel 

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
6 of 17

The phrase is "bear with me"; not "BARE with me"... though "baring" it may get more attention.

(It's the little things that count).

love_to_work888
7 of 17

Shoot, miss that one. Thanks Gerry! 

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
8 of 17

@Gerry S wrote:

The phrase is "bear with me"; not "BARE with me"... though "baring" it may get more attention.

On second thought, my original comment about this might be misconstrued.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 17

@Reinier B wrote:

@Gerry S wrote:

On second thought, my original comment about this might be misconstrued.

Drat ... I missed the original comment. Please repost using invisible ink.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 17

why do you need to check your own work for plagiarism? 

so confuse