🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Google Sheet issue- How will I get paymen...
Page options
akia26
Community Member

Google Sheet issue- How will I get payment protection if I am working on shared link from a client?

Hi,

My client shared a google spreadsheet link so that I can add some information. But, I want to submit my work once I finish everything; I don't want the Doc to be available for him before I finish.

What shall I do? How will I submit my work for payment after everything is available to him? What if something happens after I finish editing? You know what I am trying to say, right?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Akia D wrote:

But when I copy it to google sheet, he will be able to get the
finished work.

Well, yes, of course. That is EXACTLY how fixed rate contracts work. The client funds the milestone, the freelancer completes the work and submits the final deliverable.

Akia D wrote:

So, what will I submit on "submit for payment"? 

The link to the google sheet or alternatively, your hard copy of the excel sheet or both.

Akia D wrote:

What if he cancels the work as soon as I finished pasting it on google sheet?

Why would he? If he does, he still can't get the money back unless you agree.

Akia D wrote:

How will upwork resolve such dispute if I am delivering my work without
using that "submit for payment" platform?

You don't submit without using the "submit for payment" function. There is no reason to not use the function. If you want to play it safe, submit with the link AND the hard copy. 

It's all pretty much the same as any other fixed rate contract.

Just so you understand the dispute process: In general, Upwork does not decide over disputes as such. They only mediate. If mediation does not resolve a dispute, only arbitration can, and that costs each party $ 291.

That said, disputes are very rare, and are normally quite easily avided. There is no need to think that a client is out to cheat you as your default mindset. If you choose your clients carefully, you should very rarely find yourself in a bad situation.

Is there any reason why you would think that the client might want to not pay you?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Akia D wrote:
My client shared a google spreadsheet link so that I can add some information. But, I want to submit my work once I finish everything; I don't want the Doc to be available for him before I finish.

What shall I do? How will I submit my work for payment after everything is available to him? What if something happens after I finish editing? You know what I am trying to say, right?

You could simply make a copy of the google sheet, do your work in the copy, then copy the content of your (private) sheet and paste it into the original.

I hate working on google documents so I always copy the content into excel or word on my local computer, and then simply paste it back into the google document when I'm done. 

akia26
Community Member

finished work. So, what will I submit on "submit for payment"? What if
he cancels the work as soon as I finished pasting it on google sheet?

petra_r
Community Member

Akia D wrote:

finished work.

Well, yes, of course. That is EXACTLY how fixed rate contracts work. The client funds the milestone, the freelancer completes the work and submits the final deliverable.

Akia D wrote:

So, what will I submit on "submit for payment"? 

The link to the google sheet or alternatively, your hard copy of the excel sheet or both.

Akia D wrote:

What if he cancels the work as soon as I finished pasting it on google sheet?

Why would he? If he does, he still can't get the money back unless you agree.

Akia D wrote:

You don't submit without using the "submit for payment" function. There is no reason to not use the function. If you want to play it safe, submit with the link AND the hard copy. 

It's all pretty much the same as any other fixed rate contract.

Just so you understand the dispute process: In general, Upwork does not decide over disputes as such. They only mediate. If mediation does not resolve a dispute, only arbitration can, and that costs each party $ 291.

That said, disputes are very rare, and are normally quite easily avided. There is no need to think that a client is out to cheat you as your default mindset. If you choose your clients carefully, you should very rarely find yourself in a bad situation.

Is there any reason why you would think that the client might want to not pay you?

akia26
Community Member

Thanks for your reply.

07cde080
Community Member

Let your client know that you'll share the finalized work once you've completed everything. Ask for a specific email address to send the finished work to, rather than sharing it directly through the Google Sheet.

Sending to an email address does not solve OP's concern--he wants to submit through the platform.