cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a machine-translated legal document, practically incomprehensible.

Highlighted
Sarah B Member Since: Jan 10, 2020
1 of 17

I got hired to proofread this but I ended up having to translate the whole document from start to finish. A beginner's mistake for taking the job, so that's my bad. But isn't it a little unfair to just hire and pay for just proofreading instead of a translation?

I know it is on me this time, I was not paying attention so keep those comments to yourselves.

Want to know if this happened to others and how you dealt with it?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 17

Sarah B wrote:

I got hired to proofread this but I ended up having to translate the whole document from start to finish. A beginner's mistake for taking the job, so that's my bad. But isn't it a little unfair to just hire and pay for just proofreading instead of a translation?

I know it is on me this time, I was not paying attention so keep those comments to yourselves.

Want to know if this happened to others and how you dealt with it?

Either stick to hourly or get a copy of it before you accept a fixed price job.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 17

Sarah B wrote:

I got hired to proofread this but I ended up having to translate the whole document from start to finish.

Never accept a proofreading job without reviewing the entire document first.... 

Ask me how I learned that lol (the same way...)

When it happened to me I just did it (because I had accepted it without checking) but I mentioned it to the client who was horrified, dealt with the translator who had originally done the work and paid me a decent bonus.

When I am hired to proofread a translation I look it over and charge accordingly, either for proofreading or editing, depending on the quality, or I tell the client to send it back to the translator to do over, giving them the option to hire me to do the retranslation at my translation rate.

PS - I think you want to adjust your claimed translation speed.... "Average time per word: 0.83 seconds" That would make it 3000 words an hour. I don't think so. 

Highlighted
Sarah B Member Since: Jan 10, 2020
4 of 17

Thank you!
P.s I removed that one. The stats on that site said so, I should have done the math myself first. Thank you for pointing this out! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 17

Petra R wrote:

Sarah B wrote:

I got hired to proofread this but I ended up having to translate the whole document from start to finish.

When it happened to me I just did it (because I had accepted it without checking) but I mentioned it to the client who was horrified, dealt with the translator who had originally done the work and paid me a decent bonus.

When I am hired to proofread a translation I look it over and charge accordingly, either for proofreading or editing, depending on the quality, or I tell the client to send it back to the translator to do over, giving them the option to hire me to do the retranslation at my translation rate.

PS - I think you want to adjust your claimed translation speed.... "Average time per word: 0.83 seconds" That would make it 3000 words an hour. I don't think so. 

It's funny you say read it entirely. That's so true. The last one I did, I skimmed the content and even told the client it's not so bad, so he escrowed for 30 mins. When I got into it, I had to bang my head on my desk. I shoulda read it thoroughly. It only took me an hour but still.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
6 of 17

Petra R wrote:

Sarah B wrote:

I am currently in negitiation to proofread novel translation. The sample I have so far are all edited machine translations provided by top rated translators scammers on this platform.

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 17

Jennifer R wrote:

I am currently in negitiation to proofread novel translation. The sample I have so far are all edited machine translations provided by top rated translators scammers on this platform.

It's so funny when you read the work and just think to yourself "you went with the cheapest bidder who just said plz give me job sir."

Sometimes I wonder if they even chatted at all even a little bit with the guy they hired. There is no way the person they hired would be able to hold a chat conversation without it being painfully obvious they are ESL with barely any English skills. Like, did they just see a $5 bid and English:Fluent and hired? Like wat?

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 17

Jennifer M wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

It's so funny when you read the work and just think to yourself "you went with the cheapest bidder who just said plz give me job sir."

Sometimes I wonder if they even chatted at all even a little bit with the guy they hired. There is no way the person they hired would be able to hold a chat conversation without it being painfully obvious they are ESL with barely any English skills. Like, did they just see a $5 bid and English:Fluent and hired? Like wat?

The problem is that these scammers start with low budget jobs and the first clients do not check the quality just to save money. Then they get top rated after a while and with this history they move on to clients that pay more, again skip the proofreading, relying on the past feedback etc. One has made 40K+ in 3 years and translates "English and French to German and from German to English and French". My client thought translating into several target languages is proves the qualification.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 17

re: "Want to know if this happened to others and how you dealt with it?"

It has happened to LOTS of us.

How to deal with it?

Learn from the mistake and try not to make same mistake again in the future.

For fixed-price contracts, get the full document and review it before accepting a contract and setting a rate. Or work using an hourly contract.

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 17

Preston H wrote:

re: "Want to know if this happened to others and how you dealt with it?"

It has happened to LOTS of us.

How to deal with it?

Learn from the mistake and try not to make same mistake again in the future.

For fixed-price contracts, get the full document and review it before accepting a contract and setting a rate. Or work using an hourly contract.

You get hired to proofread translations?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS