Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grammar Apocalypse

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
21 of 121

John - Yup.  And yet it worked quite well...

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
22 of 121

@Mary W wrote:

really unique, completely unique, etc.  ARgghhh

Consensus of opinion.  redundant.

orientate and commentate.  You orient, you comment.  Period.

On another note, my ex-husband went to a very prestigious Ivy League school (redundant?) and included the following in every paper he wrote for every subject for four years "multiplicity of horizon" or "dichotomy of perspective"  

And viral on the internet are, amazingly unique or sensationally unique . . .

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
23 of 121

also redundant/unnecessary: continue on

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
24 of 121

@Janean L wrote:

also redundant/unnecessary: continue on

You people fighting redundancies are missing one point: some people are paid by the word. So leave redundancies alone :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
25 of 121

Incorrect use of “like,” especially in formal documents.

"Certa bonum certamen"
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
26 of 121

@Kim F wrote:

*Could* care less instead of *couldn't*...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Well, yes. As if language were logical. [As if] I could care less, without making the elision explicit... 

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
27 of 121

@Janean L wrote:

People who "correct" me when I say: "You can give that to Mary and me." (They'll say: "You mean 'to Mary and I.' " ... Uhh, no, I don't ! )

I find this one easy to remember - you just have to remove the "(thing) and" and check if the sentence makes sense. "You can give that to I" is clearly wrong, while "You can give that to me" is right, so "You can give that to Mary and me" is the right one.

@Janean L wrote:

How about: "for all intensive purposes"

and "irregardless"

and "tasked with"  (right alongside "gifted to," in my opinion !  I may be in the minority with this one, I admit.)

"alot" for "a lot"  ("allot" used correctly is fine with me!) ("alot" error only visible in writing, of course)

"He loved both the bird and it's chicks."  Aggggghhhhhhhhh!  (apostrophe apocalypse!) (usage error also visible only when written)

ALOT2.png

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

My *personal* pet peeve is "NEW AND IMPROVED!". Something can't be new *and* improved. It's either a new product, or it's an improvement on an old one!

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
28 of 121

Another Hyperobole and a Half fan ....   Smiley Very Happy

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
29 of 121

Many times the seemingly endless list of grammatical rules causes consternation to the creative writer within me (and I wrote a grammar book in undergrad).

There's Kat the Editor and Kat the Writer.

When I'm writing, if I move into Editor mode, my writing ceases. 

However, when I'm editing, it's an easy transition into Writer mode (except when the writer I'm editing isn't a strong writer and I have to curb the urge to rewrite, which verges on ghostwriting and is extra $$$).

There, they're, their misuse jumps out at me. 

Your versus you're....

I guess psychologically people merge the state of "being" with being "possessed" (or possessing). 

I had a client who wanted me to use more contractions in the text, and I had to fight the urge to type "you are", "they are", "it is."

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
30 of 121

Screen shot 2016-12-28 at 1.13.48 PM.png

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS