🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Growing as a Creative Writer
Page options
parmarvikram
Community Member

Growing as a Creative Writer

I want to grow and rise as a Creative Content Writer and not just merely a Re-writer. I want to be a Creative Writer. Please help.  How can I grow to the level of a high-quality Creative Writer? 

Thanks

Vikram

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Vikram P wrote:

Hi

I  have read the intensive English lessons. Can you suggest some?

Vikram

Vikram, you are consistently receiving poor feedback from your clients. I think the main issue is that you are writing in a foreign language, English, and you don't have a native command of this language.

Writing is hard, writing is a foreign language is even harder. You seem motivated, why not considering doing something totally different instead of writing? Or maybe writing, but in your native language?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
petra_r
Community Member

@Vikram P wrote:

How can I grow to the level of a high-quality Creative Writer?

Vikram, a few years of intensive English lessons might help.

Hi

Vikram

@Vikram P wrote:

Hi

Vikram

Vikram, you are consistently receiving poor feedback from your clients. I think the main issue is that you are writing in a foreign language, English, and you don't have a native command of this language.

Writing is hard, writing is a foreign language is even harder. You seem motivated, why not considering doing something totally different instead of writing? Or maybe writing, but in your native language?

-----------

Being a non-native English speaker, I got immense projects on upwork. The thing is I want to be a Creative Writer and not just an article rewriter.

@Vikram P wrote:

Being a non-native English speaker, I got immense projects on upwork. The thing is I want to be a Creative Writer and not just an article rewriter.

Your English is not good enough for the simple stuff you are already doing, such as fake Amazon reviews etc.

I am at a loss as to why you think it is good enough for "Creative Writing!"

Just as you have to learn to walk before you can run, you have to learn English to a much higher level before you can expect people to pay you to write in it.

As Rene pointed out, your feedback history and JSS are telling you something, aren't they?

hi

I did not write fake Amazon reviews.  I am a TESOL certified trainer from Global TESOL college. I am just an article rewriter. I just want to be beyond that. 

@Vikram P wrote:

hi

I did not write fake Amazon reviews. 

You didn't? Why are they in your portfolio then? In breathtakingly bad English?

Vikram P wrote: I am just an article rewriter. I just want to be beyond that. 

I get that you want that and it's an admirable goal. It will take you years to get your English anywhere near that point, but with intensive lessons and learnings you may get there one day.

@Vikram P wrote:

It's good that you are getting a lot of jobs on Upwork even if the work that you do is probably very questionable on the moral side. Why I'm writing this is because usually, clients who hire people to rewrite content are doing it in order to plagiarize already published material. This practice has a name and it's called content spinning. Rewriting content that way avoids being spotted by Google's algorithms.

I mean no disrespect, but that's what I think you are doing. Clients who hire content spinners usually hire the cheapest person possible since spinning a text requires low skills. Unfortunately for you, many clients seem to be unhappy with your work, thus your low JSS.

If you go here: My Stats what does the Clients who would recommend you field say? I'm afraid the figure may be low.

I understand that you want to become a creative writer. But it may be extremely hard to achieve this goal in English. Your TESOL whatever doesn't mean squat. You may have the skills to teach basic English to beginners, it doesn't make you a native speaker of the language.

Want to improve your English?  Go for it! Get yourself a native speaker who can tutor you. You'll see about the creative writer part later...

-----------
researchediting
Community Member

The general answer to "How do I become a creative writer?"—or more precisely, "How do I acquire the base level of linguistic knowledge needed for creative writing?" (which is significantly higher than native fluency)—is:

Read.

Read.

Read.

Read until your eyes bleed.

There are many native English speakers who still cannot become creative writers. In U.S. schools, students are taught the fundamentals of reading, spelling, and grammar along with courses that specifically teach them how to write well.  So, in addition to reading well-written books and articles, you might also study beginner level writing course. There are many free resources to help you do this. Begin with the basics. Learn how to craft paragraphs and sentences. Study literary devices and logical fallacies. These skills will help you regardless of the language in which you choose to write. 

thanks so much. i will remember your tips. Pls tell me which beginning writing course is it so that I can buy it here in India.also pls tell me the free resources I can access. also pls tell me how to craft paras and sentences. 

also pls tell me about these literary devices( i have not heard of it before and I dont know where to get these. )I also want to know about the logical fallacies. 

@Vikram P wrote:

thanks so much. i will remember your tips. Pls tell me which beginning writing course is it so that I can buy it here in India.also pls tell me the free resources I can access. also pls tell me how to craft paras and sentences. 

also pls tell me about these literary devices( i have not heard of it before and I dont know where to get these. )I also want to know about the logical fallacies. 

Here's a nice write-up you may want to read- 

https://thebestschools.org/magazine/15-logical-fallacies-know/

Pls, tell me which beginning writing course is it so that I can buy it here in India. also pls tell me the free resources I can access. also pls tell me how to craft paras and sentences. 

@Vikram P wrote:

Pls, tell me which beginning writing course is it so that I can buy it here in India. also pls tell me the free resources I can access. also pls tell me how to craft paras and sentences. 

Pls use the Internet to find these things all by yourself, pls.

And also: pls stop asking the same stuff again and again. Pls.

also pls tell me how to craft paras and sentences. 

I don't know what's a para. A paratrooper maybe? But crafting sentences is easy. Usually, what works beautifully is: subject+verb+object.

-----------

Ok

Thanks so much. 

I am already using the subject + verb + object scenario in a sentence. Please advise something else so that I become a creative writer. I am just rewording or paraphrasing the sentences when writing articles for blogs and website content. 

Thanks

@Vikram P wrote:

I am already using the subject + verb + object scenario in a sentence. Please advise something else so that I become a creative writer. I am just rewording or paraphrasing the sentences when writing articles for blogs and website content. 

Thanks

We know what kind of (***Self-edited for community guidelines***) you are doing and we already told you everything that you need to know to start. Now, do your homework, nobody is gonna to do it for you. You'd better get to it because you will have a lot of work to do.

-----------

Vikram, I hate to point it out, but in "creative writer", you mustn't forget creative.

Most of the advice that was given was about writing, not about being creative. Are you a creative kind of person, are you into inventing new stuff, are you inspired by God only knows what, are you good at just coming up with new ideas that "normal" people don't have?

To me, this is a gift, you either are creative or not. That part of your dream could be even more difficult to reach. 

In the meantime, the advice of reading a lot (but don't let your eyes bleed, that's very painful) is a very good one.