Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Writer's

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 27

yep, 10 bucks says they're plagiarised.

Never used a plagiarism checker in the 6 years I've been doing this and never will. You don't need one if you're not plagiarizing. 

I've had 1 client who had me rewrite a couple articles that were on his site, but he just linked me to his site. Doesn't that make more sense?  And I charged him for a full article, because even "rewriting" should just be taking points from the article writing. You don't copy/paste sentences and then use different words. That's stupid and it seems a lot of low rent "writers" think it's OK.

Community Leader
Peter G Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
12 of 27

Like Jennifer, no client has ever checked my work with a plagiarism tool - if only because my stories are usually based on interviews with the client (not on internet articles).

The only time I edited articles for a client was when one of them wanted to recycle and update some of his blogs for use in his monthly newsletter.  Even so, he didn't need the updated stories to be "100% different."

By and large, the only clients who use plagiarism tools are those who don't trust their writers or those who want to be sure that THEY won't be caught posting plagiarized materials on their sites.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 27

@Peter G wrote:

"He always wants them to be somehow similar. After editing it, I will need to run it through a plagiarism tool, to make sure it's 100% different, but says the same thing."

In my experience, it's likely this client doesn't own the rights to these articles.  That's why he wants them "edited" to make sure they're "100% different" and then checked for plagiarism. He wants to be sure he can get away with plagiarism.  I can think of no other reason why someone would want "100% different" versions of an article.

I know of many companies with high volume sites (several hundred to thousands of pages) that update their articles and resources every year or two, but do not remove the existing pages that are already ranked. Some common examples are wedding industry sites, party planning companies, etc. where the same questions and issues and themes arise again and again, but they want to keep adding fresh content and have fresh dates on their posts. 

Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
14 of 27

I've had times where I wrote an article based on my own knowledge of the topic. I never researched the topic. I already knew it. I really did write it in my own words. The problem still remains, there's always a chance it'll be so close to something currently online that it gets called as a match. So the "checkers" say I copied it. This is why I don't bother using those things. I never did use them.

Facts are facts, instructions are instructions. You're not going to change those things too much without confusing the readers more!! Someone has a list of Key Features for their product / service. You can only reword that just so much before you end up killing it anyway to the point where you never should have bothered to begin with. But yet, a client I had complained about it. It was a waste of a complaint.

If you're making a guide of some sort, you better come up with a very unique guide or it will be a copy/paste marathon. This is a common problem with game forums. But yet, I get hired to make an ebook about popular games!! Even though the game guides I have made for my site are unique, there's always the chance someone else has something so similar that one of us is going to get an accusation.

Honestly, clients that are worried about plagerism clearly didn't bother to check the topic(s) they offer jobs for. If they did, there's a high chance many writers will be out of work. Of course quoting someone is going to show up as copied. Go figure!! Name the person you're quoting and you should be fine.

Really? A simple google search for "Clash of Clans Guide" (for example) didn't produce several million results? When checking into several of them, you'd find out how unique most of them really are not.

@Emmanuel

If the articles you're rewording do belong to the client who hired you, I'd think it's others that would have to change theirs to avoid plagiarism. Not the person who posted it first. But that client doesn't even want to give you a link to his own site? I'd say Peter G and Jennifer M have it right.

Ace Contributor
Emmanuel S Member Since: Mar 17, 2016
15 of 27

Hello @ Peter G, Jennifer M, and Santiago,

You guys can be right. It might belong to someone else, but I won't have to force the client to give me a link to his site. Since he has decided to just send them as files, and all I do is edit. He's paying well, and I won't just risk it by forcing him to give me a link to his site (forgive me if I sound selfish).

Thank you.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
16 of 27

@Emmanuel S wrote:

@Hello @ Peter G, Jennifer M, and Santiago,

You guys can be right. It might belong to someone else, but I won't have to force the client to give me a link to his site. Since he has decided to just send them as files, and all I do is edit. He's paying well, and I won't just risk it by forcing him to give me a link to his site (forgive me if I sound selfish).

Thank you.

I'm not a writer but could you run them through the plagerism checker before you "edit" them to see where they are coming from?

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Ace Contributor
17 of 27

@Katrina B wrote:

I'm not a writer but could you run them through the plagerism checker before you "edit" them to see where they are coming from?

Hello Katrina,

The one I checked before editing came from four websites, according to Duplichecker.com. so I don't know, maybe his website is among the four, or maybe not. The articles also includes quotations.

Community Guru
18 of 27

@Emmanuel S wrote:

@Hello @ Peter G, Jennifer M, and Santiago,

Thank you.

oh, you're one of those.

OK 

Ace Contributor
19 of 27

Jennifer M wrote:

oh, you're one of those.

OK 

You sound funny, Smiley Happy, but, sorry, I am not one of those. I don't make use of Plagiarism tools, I don't need them. It's just for this particular work.

Community Guru
20 of 27

Don't get me wrong. I like people like you. If it wasn't for you guys, I might actually feel inferior.

So, /appreciation to you

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS