🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hello there, I had a $150 project with my cli...
Page options
khan-worker
Community Member

Hello there, I had a $150 project with my client. But he kept only $5 on the escrow & released that.

Hello there, I had a $150 project with my client. But he kept only $5 on the escrow & told me that he would pay the total money after the project submission. Now I submitted the project but got only $5 after 14 days. I sent a lot of text to the clients, but he doesn't make any reply. He seems unresponsive. So, what can I do to get the total deal money?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vinod111
Community Member

Hey Tanveer,

First of all, don't get upset about this situation and try to leave it behind and move on. Sometimes you don't earn money but earn valuable experience.

Take this as a lesson and henceforth be sure you will read the offer carefully without doing any hurry. On offer its mentions that how much amount is funded. If it's not what you have discussed with the client then don't accept it and talk to the client about it. The client may replace this offer with others by correcting a milestone if he is not a scammer.

Best of Luck!

Thanks,

Vinod

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JoanneP

Hi Md Tanveer Ahmed,

I checked your account, and it looks like you have accepted the offer under this term. I suggest that in the future, please make sure that you confirm with the client the payment you require for the project. You and the client should discuss and agree on all the terms before starting the contract. In this case, you may reach out to your client and politely ask them about it. They have the option to send you a bonus. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
lysis10
Community Member

Md Tanveer Ahmed K wrote:

Hello there, I had a $150 project with my client. But he kept only $5 on the escrow & told me that he would pay the total money after the project submission. Now I submitted the project but got only $5 after 14 days. I sent a lot of text to the clients, but he doesn't make any reply. He seems unresponsive. So, what can I do to get the total deal money?

you got scammed.

full escrow or no deal

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "So, what can I do to get the total deal money?"

You can not get $150.

You can only get $5.

This is your mistake. You used Upwork incorrectly.

You need to learn from your mistake and move on. Do not continue use to desire the remaining $145. To do so would only harm you and accomplish nothing.

Stop sending messages to the client. This is over. Stop giving him power over you.

Preston H wrote:

re: "So, what can I do to get the total deal money?"

You can not get $150.

You can only get $5.

This is your mistake. You used Upwork incorrectly.

You need to learn from your mistake and move on. Do not continue use to desire the remaining $145. To do so would only harm you and accomplish nothing.

Stop sending messages to the client. This is over. Stop giving him power over you.

He can still file a DMCA if the text is published. They agreed on $150 and the freelancer has not been paid the agreed rate. According to the ToS he still owns the copyright.

6.4 OWNERSHIP OF WORK PRODUCT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

Upon Freelancer’s receipt of full payment from Client, the Work Product (except for any Background Technology), including without limitation all Intellectual Property Rights in the Work Product (except for any Background Technology), will be the sole and exclusive property of Client, and Client will be deemed to be the author thereof.

Jennifer R wrote:

He can still file a DMCA if the text is published. They agreed on $150 and the freelancer has not been paid the agreed rate. According to the ToS he still owns the copyright.

It's not as easy as all that. If the first milestone was called "do X,Y,Z" and the freelancer submitted X,Y,Z and was paid, then the deliverables of the milestone were fully paid for and the client owns them.

In case of partial payment the client owns what they paid for. 

vinod111
Community Member

Hey Tanveer,

First of all, don't get upset about this situation and try to leave it behind and move on. Sometimes you don't earn money but earn valuable experience.

Take this as a lesson and henceforth be sure you will read the offer carefully without doing any hurry. On offer its mentions that how much amount is funded. If it's not what you have discussed with the client then don't accept it and talk to the client about it. The client may replace this offer with others by correcting a milestone if he is not a scammer.

Best of Luck!

Thanks,

Vinod

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths