Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help creating translator portfolio

Henrique B Member Since: Oct 23, 2018
11 of 16

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Henrique, 

When creating your profile, it has to represent your work, skills, and experience on a specific job category. Your portfolio section should also be projects that you have personally worked on, are related to any or all of your skills, and should adhere to all of Upwork’s Terms of Service

Here's a great guide on how you can setup your profile.

Hi Avery,

I understand, I've already found a lot of information in the guide and I believe I already know basically everything I need to start filling out my profile.

My only doubt is in relation to the portfolio, I would like to know if I can translate an educational youtube video and display. Also, where could I find an article to translate and display without infringing copyright?
The people here seem to answer everything except my questions 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
12 of 16

Hi Henrique, 

Unfortunately, I don't have enough background in translation to be able to give you any concrete tip about this job category. I would suggest that you read up as much information on the job category as you can to be able to start your freelancing business. 

Please also know that we have Community Guidelines in place, and I would request that the guidelines be followed when posting in the Community. Thank you!

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
BEST ANSWER
13 of 16

@Henrique B wrote:

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Henrique, 

When creating your profile, it has to represent your work, skills, and experience on a specific job category. Your portfolio section should also be projects that you have personally worked on, are related to any or all of your skills, and should adhere to all of Upwork’s Terms of Service

Hi Avery,

I understand, I've already found a lot of information in the guide and I believe I already know basically everything I need to start filling out my profile.

My only doubt is in relation to the portfolio, I would like to know if I can translate an educational youtube video and display. Also, where could I find an article to translate and display without infringing copyright?

Here's an answer for you; go to Gutenberg.org, download any book that takes your fancy and translate a couple of pages from it. These books are all free of copyright and you can basically do anything you want with them, including selling them. 

However, when you do anything with a book from this site, such as translating them and posting the translation anywhere, you have to include the very lengthy and complicated licence terms that came with the download, so be sure to also translate and post the licence terms in your portfolio. This will give you experience translating legal texts as well, so for you, it's like killing two birds with one stone.  

Henrique B Member Since: Oct 23, 2018
14 of 16

@Reinier B wrote:

@Henrique B wrote:

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Henrique, 

Hi Avery,

Here's an answer for you; go to Gutenberg.org, download any book that takes your fancy and translate a couple of pages from it. These books are all free of copyright and you can basically do anything you want with them, including selling them. 

However, when you do anything with a book from this site, such as translating them and posting the translation anywhere, you have to include the very lengthy and complicated licence terms that came with the download, so be sure to also translate and post the licence terms in your portfolio. This will give you experience translating legal texts as well, so for you, it's like killing two birds with one stone.  

Finally, someone who has something usefull to say. Thank you so much. I appreciate

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
15 of 16

@Henrique B wrote:

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Henrique, 

Hi Avery,

No, as a general rule everything (books, music, videos, games) is protected by copyright until 70 years after the death of the creator. But there are exception as well.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 16

All,

This thread has been closed from further replies. Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines and respectful toward other members of the Community when posting on these boards.

Thanks you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS