🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Help please.
Page options
aeishar
Community Member

Help please.

I'm just starting out and I need some advice on how to improve my profile so that I can win jobs. I need someone to tell me everything that is wrong so I can improve.

8 REPLIES 8
carloslobo28
Community Member

Hi! your overview is a fruit salad, that is quite unclear, confusing, your title focus on writing but you start your overview as proofreader and thereafter say little about writing. You need to be more consistent and list your skills by segments, also you need to talk about experience. 

itsolutions065
Community Member

Hi Zubair, 

Welcome to Upwork and the Upwork Community! 

Make sure first of all 100% complete your profile, Like employment history, Education, Other experience etc.Good Title, attractive descriptions in detail in which you experts. Attractive Prifile picture.

You're offering proofreading services, yet you spelled "fulfill" wrong straight off the bat. Your Editing & Proofreading profile sounds a bit forced and artificial with many poorly written sentences. Also, it's not "copy-writing," but copywriting.  

"Fulfil" is correct. The OP is Jamaican and therefore far more likely to use British-style English. 

aeishar
Community Member

I'm Jamaican, therefore, I use Jamaican Standard English which is
essentially British English. However, if clients specify they need American
English I'm also able to write in that version. Here are some other
variations in spellings:
colour - color
flavour - flavor
humour - humor
labour - labor
neighbour - neighbor
apologise - apologize
organise - organize
recognise - recognize

It's quite a long list.

Aeisha, 

The problem you may come up against on Upwork is that there are thousands of freelancers here offering the same skills as you and possibly thousands who have experience and related qualifications.  

I know we all have to start somewhere, but what bothers me about your overview is the disjunct between your offer and your experience in these fields. There is absolutely nothing to stop you being a writer or editor, but I think you need to show concrete evidence in your portfolio of these skills. Knowledge of APA is certainly a start and even a plus, but it is only a fraction of what editing/proofreading entails and APA is not used as the default style guide for all writing. 

I think you need to rework your profile with less of how passionate you are about writing/editing and more about what you can actually do for your potential clients. A client typically only sees the first three lines of your overview, so they need to grab his or her attention sufficiently to offer you an interview. You put your writing and editing experience right at the bottom of your profile page. You need to turn this to good advantage and put it in your overview. Leave out the "friends", but concentrate on the texts you have actually edited for them. If you have any writing examples put them in your portfolio. 

Lastly, your rates show you up as being inexperienced and make you a potential target for every scammer going. There is an old scam at the moment that has been modified to hook unwary new editors - watch out for it if you keep your rates so low. 

Proofread again. You're missing some words and that's going to cost you. 

Also, writing a blog and writing a business proposal are very different. I think what you're offering is far too broad and you should specialize in a specific kind of writing. I don't hire a blog writer to do my business proposal. It's entirely different. You need to back up why you can write such varying material if you're going to suggest that's your expertise. 

aeishar
Community Member

Thank you.