🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Help.....
Page options
kristypepe
Community Member

Help.....

Hi all,

I'm looking for help, I'm searching for the translation to Portuguese of:

Tenor Slab (banking)

Can anyone help PLEASE, it's rather urgent.

Thanks in advance,

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cristina L wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for your kind response.

I had an Idea but the correct term in Portuguese, I can't find.

Your response is really appreciated.

I thought to ask for assistance here... I myself would not hesitate in helping a fellow translator.

But will follow your advise and try the site you mentioned.

Thank you for your help.

It was sweet of you.

Keep safe

:rose:

Cristina, 

As I said, this  is not the place to seek instant translation help.  All translators will come across unfamiliar terms and terminology at some point, but there are specific forums on the Internet that can and do help, and you should make use of these, and as a translator, you should really have known of their existence.  A little search on Google will lead you to others.  

If you undertake the translation of a subject that is unfamiliar to you, then a little basic research of it in the source language can clarify  a great many problems when you are translating into the target language. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
colettelewis
Community Member

Cristina L wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking for help, I'm searching for the translation to Portuguese of:

Tenor Slab (banking)

Can anyone help PLEASE, it's rather urgent.

Thanks in advance,

In a financial context, tenor is the (mandatory) length of time, which can vary, before a bill of exchange or promissory note such as a certificate of deposit falls due. 

I'm fairly sure Slab stands for  stock lending and borrowing.  

So perhaps you can work it out in Portuguese from this.  You could try  sites such as Translator's Cafe and ProZ. Upwork isn't really the place to ask for this sort of help, unless you post a job. 

Hi,

I thought to ask for assistance here... I myself would not hesitate in helping a fellow translator.

Thank you for your help.

It was sweet of you.

Keep safe

Cristina L wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

It was sweet of you.

Keep safe

Cristina, 

As I said, this  is not the place to seek instant translation help.  All translators will come across unfamiliar terms and terminology at some point, but there are specific forums on the Internet that can and do help, and you should make use of these, and as a translator, you should really have known of their existence.  A little search on Google will lead you to others.  

If you undertake the translation of a subject that is unfamiliar to you, then a little basic research of it in the source language can clarify  a great many problems when you are translating into the target language. 

RE: Help.... ,

As I said before, I needed help and as I work on this platform, this is where I thought the Community could help. Actually I'm very familiar with the subject, just that, the terminology is not used neither in the US or the UK.

I've got the correct translation. 

Thanks anyway...

:cherry_blossom:

Cristina L wrote:

RE: Help.... ,

As I said before, I needed help and as I work on this platform, this is where I thought the Community could help. Actually I'm very familiar with the subject, just that, the terminology is not used neither in the US or the UK.

I've got the correct translation. 

Thanks anyway...

:cherry_blossom:

I am going to be hard-nosed for a moment. (Yes, I know, that will be a stretch for me. 😉)

"Community," in this context, is a marketing term. One cannot read too much into it. That said, people often do act supportively here, as Nichola has done by offering you practical tips, both related to your question and about the kind of help that is and is not available.

It is helpful, though, and even supports a congenial spirit of community, to bear in mind that while we often act like colleagues, we are most often competitors. That is why there is a decorum attached to the kinds of questions we pose and answers we expect. I don't ask my competitors to do work that I'm being paid for.

Cristina L wrote:

[...] just that, the terminology is not used neither in the US or t

This is incorrect. Both terms are commonly used on both sides of the Atlantic. 

This is rude. If someone needs help, it is supposed we can find it here. Maybe is not the first place she was looking for help on but trusted there was going to be someone that could help her out. I do not need a response from you, and I appreciate it if you keep it to yourself, but honestly, I hope you never need to ask something and someone just like you sends you a rude response. I wish you the best and that you never need help.

Elizabeth P wrote:

This is rude. If someone needs help, it is supposed we can find it here. Maybe is not the first place she was looking for help on but trusted there was going to be someone that could help her out. I do not need a response from you, and I appreciate it if you keep it to yourself, but honestly, I hope you never need to ask something and someone just like you sends you a rude response. I wish you the best and that you never need help.

If you are referring to me Elizabeth P. I am not sure where your idea of "rudeness" comes from. I gave advice and I also corrected a mistake, which may also help other translators. 

You could possibly benefit from a few lessons in manners yourself.  Just sayin ... 

Elizabeth P wrote:

Not all suppositions are correct. Thank you for the kind wishes.