🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Higher pay rate for editing vs content wr...
Page options
natashadaya
Community Member

Higher pay rate for editing vs content writing?

Hi all,

I am new to Upwork and have recently been hired by a client for the first time. The job posting was for an editor and the client asked me to edit one document first to see if I was a good fit. He then said I did a great job and has now asked me to write the content. He also expects me to edit my own work as I write. Since the client is asking me to do something different from the original job description, is it fair for me to ask for a higher rate of pay (this is an hourly job)? Can I do this when I am already hired for the job? I don't want to lose the client since this is a good opportunity for me, but I feel that a higher rate of pay is warranted given the new job description. Any advice you can provide would be much appreciated! Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
jr-translation
Community Member

Natasha D wrote:

Hi all,

I am new to Upwork and have recently been hired by a client for the first time. The job posting was for an editor and the client asked me to edit one document first to see if I was a good fit. He then said I did a great job and has now asked me to write the content. He also expects me to edit my own work as I write. Since the client is asking me to do something different from the original job description, is it fair for me to ask for a higher rate of pay (this is an hourly job)? Can I do this when I am already hired for the job? I don't want to lose the client since this is a good opportunity for me, but I feel that a higher rate of pay is warranted given the new job description. Any advice you can provide would be much appreciated! Thanks!

First a link to your first thread in case people feel like they read the story before.

Phyllis basically wrote everything there is to know. These are two different jobs and if you do not want to do the new job just tell the client. Instead of increasing your rate (a bad idea at this point) tell the client that you will need longer for the writing due to the research etc. or to hire a writer and you continue with the editing.

The worth of you time should never depend on the task you are doing but on the hourly rate you defined for it. This is the first thing you need to figure out. Is 1 hour of your time worth US$18 or US$25? Remember that the client is paying for your time not the complexity of the task.

Thank you Jennifer.

tonyanazia
Community Member

Under normal circumstances, you can ask the client to hire a writer who will do the writing, while you do the editing since that was what the hiring contract stated originally.
That being said, you may want to go with the flow in the meantime especially as its an opportunity you can use as a platform to greater gigs and clients. At the end of the contract , gently let the client know the sacrifice you made.

Anthony A wrote:
That being said, you may want to go with the flow in the meantime especially as its an opportunity you can use as a platform to greater gigs and clients. At the end of the contract , gently let the client know the sacrifice you made.

This is bad advice. Don't "sacrifice" and try to put the client in the position of making it up to you subsequently. All that achieves is creating inappropriate and confusing expectations for the client. The most important opportunity you have early in a client relationship is to be clear and candid and establish scopes and boundaries that are mutually acceptable and mutually beneficial.

colettelewis
Community Member

Natasha D wrote:

Hi all,

Pay has nothing to do with it. You were given a job as an editor. If the client now wants you to write content, it is a different job. If you prefer to write, then you discuss this with your client, mutually close your contract as editor and negotiate a new contract as a writer with your client. 

Alll writers will do their best to ensure error-free  texts, but it is next to impossible to accurately  edit one's own work. So any client who cares about his or her business will ensure that the writers, depending on their expertise, will be at best proofread if not edited. 

Clients tend not to perceive the difference between these related but different skills. 

If your client is looking for a "buy one, get one free", you should move on.  

Natasha, I'm a bit late to the party but looking over your profile, you write, edit, and proofread, so you might consider using Upwork's specialized profile feature. This will allow you to specify different profile rates, based on the particular skill/service you offer.

FYI, specialized profiles are described here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013750068-Create-a-Specialized-Profile