🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: How can I start ? Translator
Page options
marcelo-toniolo
Community Member

How can I start ? Translator

Hi

I am new in this system and have already sent almost 10 proposals for translation work.  Some of them have been rejected.

I noticed that some of the requests have some minimum requirements of scores, etc....In this case, as a translator, I have done some work in the past but don't have a portfolio or copy of my work.

How can I start then if the requestors want people with experience only ?

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Marcelo:

Your Upwork portfolio is essentially non-existent.

A good portfolio is vitally important for a translator.

You need to post impressive portfolio items that demonstrate your abilities, or you need to stop trying to use Upwork.

colettelewis
Community Member

@Marcelo T wrote:

Hi

I am new in this system and have already sent almost 10 proposals for translation work.  Some of them have been rejected.

I noticed that some of the requests have some minimum requirements of scores, etc....In this case, as a translator, I have done some work in the past but don't have a portfolio or copy of my work.

How can I start then if the requestors want people with experience only ?

Build your niche round your business expertise, and get some relevant samples together, that you can send your clients. You need only put a couple of things in your portfolio to begin with (I have a very small public profile as somebody once stole my profile and portfolio - but I have dozens of samples to choose from when submitting a proposal).

However, what you do put in your public portfolio must be solid and valid. At the moment, any client will only have your word for it that you translated a report. Take an extract of your translation and upload that - both languages.

I have seen quite a demand for English>Brazilian Portuguese and vice versa, so I am sure you will land something soon. Don't say in your proposal though that you have no experience. Get more translation experience by developing your portfolio. 

nicolas_arbelaez
Community Member

I think you need to work more on your profile. Add Portuguese to your languages and take a few more tests that prove your expertise. You can also add a few more skills. Since translation is a highly competitive field, don't get discouraged. You'll need to be patient and send way more than ten applications to land your first job.

Am I missing something? A Roberto M seems to have contributed to this five-year-old thread - but no Roberto M?