cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Charge per word / per hour for translations

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 16

I figure out how much I can write and deliver within an hour. Since I want to make $55/hour, if I can write something in an hour, I'll charge $55. That's usually like 500-1000 words.

I didn't know how much I could write when I first started, and a lot of times I don't focus for an hour straight. But, for the most part, I charge $55 for about 500 words because that's about what I do in an hour.

If it's more technical and focused on something that's in my field, I charge $110 for an article.

The hard part is getting your feet wet. I got lucky and landed a long-term customer on here before my Elance profile ported over. There is a lot of junk on Upwork, but once you understand what people are looking for, you can pinpoint the serious players just by their job posts.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 16

With translation it is a bit different, because as Petra says it depends on the complexity of the text and the subject. Also, you are responsible for and have to be sensitive to someone else's work - particularly with fiction. Five hundred  words could take me an hour - or all day! I charge on a per word basis, which is reduced depending on the number of words and the text. I have a set rate for any translation of 500 words and under.

Dagmar K Member Since: Sep 28, 2015
13 of 16

thank you so much all who have left me a message with advice. Much appreciated.  I have been trying to thank you individually but this program does not seem to be working very well. Regards Dagmar

Dagmar K Member Since: Sep 28, 2015
14 of 16

Thank you so very much. This has been very helpful for me Jennifer M wrotelysis10 wrote:

I figure out how much I can write and deliver within an hour. Since I want to make $55/hour, if I can write something in an hour, I'll charge $55. That's usually like 500-1000 words.

I didn't know how much I could write when I first started, and a lot of times I don't focus for an hour straight. But, for the most part, I charge $55 for about 500 words because that's about what I do in an hour.

If it's more technical and focused on something that's in my field, I charge $110 for an article.

The hard part is getting your feet wet. I got lucky and landed a long-term customer on here before my Elance profile ported over. There is a lot of junk on Upwork, but once you understand what people are looking for, you can pinpoint the serious players just by their job posts.

Thank you so much for your replay - it has helped me a lot :-)))

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
15 of 16

I'll go ahead and just leave this here for additional consideration:

http://www.the-efa.org/res/rates.php

Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
16 of 16

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but adding a translation client's perspective...

I have two types of jobs I post:

1) Fixed-price jobs where I have a specific project to translate as a one-off. I know the exact word count. I don't need ongoing support.

2) Hourly jobs where I need a freelancer to provide me with long-term translation support on an as-needed basis. This can be anywhere from 0 to 30+ hours per week. It's usually more at the lower end and if I have a large project coming up I give my freelancers advance notice.

Sometimes someone who has done a job of type 1 for me, I may then ask them to start a type 2 contract. Or I might have another type 1 job for them later.

So I need to be able to think about pricing for both types of jobs. Like Petra said in an earlier response, some languages are "more expensive" than others based on supply and demand. I *generally* start at around $.05/word or $20/hr for general website translation and move up or down depending on the language. I find those rates are *generally* equivalent. But that's a very broad rule. It could be a good starting point for "converting" from one to the other though.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS