🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: How to be hired as an En-Ru tranlator?
Page options
splinter3d
Community Member

How to be hired as an En-Ru tranlator?

Hello.

How is it possible that for more than 3 months no client ever replyed to me. Although I agree on their bid and quality of my translation is very high. Can it be because I am living in Russia or something? What can be the reason?

4 REPLIES 4
sergio-soria
Community Member

Hi, Ilya

I don't want to sound arrogant but I must tell you this since you want to know why they are not hiring you. If you want to work as an English-Russian translator your English and writing must be PERFECT, not only because it's what that job demands but also because you need to stand out from the thousands of translators there are in Upwork already. You may think your English level is very high but reading your post here anyone can see it is not. And there is even a typo in the title.

It sounds like I am exaggerating but that is how it is. Clients look for excellence so if your profile or proposals have that kind of mistakes they don't forgive you and reject you instantly.

Your profile is private at the moment so I can't tell if you have English mistakes or any other problem there. Anyway, I'll give you a couple more tips: don't bid too low because many clients would think you are a "cheap" worker who doesn't deserve more (you'll find many scammers too), tailor your proposals talking about the specific job and how you would manage it, don't use the proposal to talk about you (use the overview to talk about you, not the proposal), be patient and keep going because if you didn't get any contract yet potential clients see that and they don't want to take the risk with a new worker, instead they go to the seasoned ones even if their rates are higher than yours. The first job is always the hardest to get, but once in a while there is someone that gives you a chance so keep the faith. Besides, in your proposal don't you ever beg because most clients don't like that and others just take advantage of you and treat you as a slave.

Again, don't take me wrong, it's just a piece of advice. Don't ever stop learning English, grammar in particular; and keep sending good proposals. It's hard to work here but not impossible. If you are a native Russian living in Russia that is actually a great advantage!

Hi. Thaks for the detailed answer.

Upwork made my profile private. When I reply for a job I use such message. Description in my profile is pretty similar.

Hi.

I can translate from English to Russian in a very good quality.

I am a native Russian speaker and speak English well.

Here is an example of my translation

**Edited for Community Guidelines**(translation)

**Edited for Community Guidelines** (original)

My translations are always accurate

and correct with a very good readability.

My bid is 10+ dollars for 1000 words.

Hi again.

You should contact customer service and ask them to switch your profile back to public. That way you will appear in search results when a client is looking for translators. Otherwise the only people who can access your profile are those who receive a proposal from you. A profile turns to private automatically when the worker has not been earning money for more than 30 days.

As I said before you should tailor your proposals according to the client. Don't use the same speech for everyone because everyone is different and has different needs. Read the job post carefully and address specifically what they are talking about. It's different when they need a translation for subtitles, for books, for articles or for a brochure, the same way it's different when text is about biology, economy, sports, etc. so you should talk about that in your proposal. They want to know how you will deal with their problem, how much time it will take you, etc. If you use the same speech over and over it's just a waste especially if you have the same text in your overview. They may think you are just a robot who can't read about their problem and answer accordingly. Remember they are looking for a solution. In your proposal talk about that solution, not about who you are. You already talked about you in the overview, don't repeat yourself.

Yes. When it is possible I use specific for the proposal information. But it is one of the most often options I use.

Does it sound incorrect in English?