cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create my Translation Portfolio ( Newbie Translator ).

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 18

@Scott E wrote:

Sure thing, I was just trying to move him away from the 'translating a whole book' idea!

Yes.... Good idea Smiley Wink

Yassine E Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
12 of 18

Thank You so much, all of you.. Greatly appreciated Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
13 of 18

I'm gonna to second what others have already told you: a translator only translates to their native language. It may be tempting, especially as a beginner, to think that you'll get more jobs and more revenue if you try to offer symmetric translation.

This is a very bad mistake. Your Arabic to English translation are gonna to be bad, and eventually you'll get poorly rated by a client for this.

If you're not a native speaker of English, you can't fake it.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 18

The one time when I think it is valid for a translator to work on translating to a target language which is NOT their target language is if they are part of a two-person team that includes a final translator who is a native speaker of the target language.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 18

Sorry, Preston, but no. I have edited far too many texts that have been translated to English by translators whose native language is not English. Even the best of those translations betray a lack of semantic knowledge that has to be edited. There is a huge difference between the real world and the excellent work of an A student in college or school.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
16 of 18

@Preston H wrote:

The one time when I think it is valid for a translator to work on translating to a target language which is NOT their target language is if they are part of a two-person team that includes a final translator who is a native speaker of the target language.

I can't think of any case in which this would be true. If you translate X to Y, and your teammate does Y to X, there is no reason why you would do his job.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Leader
Teri S Member Since: Oct 17, 2011
17 of 18

@Rene K wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

I can't think of any case in which this would be true. If you translate X to Y, and your teammate does Y to X, there is no reason why you would do his job.

Well, actually, sometimes this is the way my partner and I work. If the native speaker of the target language has a large caseload when a great job comes in, the other one can do a basic translation and the native speaker can edit and proofread. Editing takes a lot less time than translating, and so can often be fitted into an otherwise too busy schedule.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 18

@Preston H wrote:

No.

ONLY if the native speaker is also hired by the client. Allowing anyone else to work on the client's project is a serious policy violation.

I have long wondered how and when you became fluent in Japanese, or a translator...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS