cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create my Translation Portfolio ( Newbie Translator ).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 20

@Scott E wrote:

Sure thing, I was just trying to move him away from the 'translating a whole book' idea!

Yes.... Good idea Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Yassine E Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
12 of 20

Thank You so much, all of you.. Greatly appreciated Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
13 of 20

I'm gonna to second what others have already told you: a translator only translates to their native language. It may be tempting, especially as a beginner, to think that you'll get more jobs and more revenue if you try to offer symmetric translation.

This is a very bad mistake. Your Arabic to English translation are gonna to be bad, and eventually you'll get poorly rated by a client for this.

If you're not a native speaker of English, you can't fake it.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 20

The one time when I think it is valid for a translator to work on translating to a target language which is NOT their target language is if they are part of a two-person team that includes a final translator who is a native speaker of the target language.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 20

Sorry, Preston, but no. I have edited far too many texts that have been translated to English by translators whose native language is not English. Even the best of those translations betray a lack of semantic knowledge that has to be edited. There is a huge difference between the real world and the excellent work of an A student in college or school.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
16 of 20

@Preston H wrote:

The one time when I think it is valid for a translator to work on translating to a target language which is NOT their target language is if they are part of a two-person team that includes a final translator who is a native speaker of the target language.

I can't think of any case in which this would be true. If you translate X to Y, and your teammate does Y to X, there is no reason why you would do his job.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Leader
Teri S Member Since: Oct 17, 2011
17 of 20

@Rene K wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

I can't think of any case in which this would be true. If you translate X to Y, and your teammate does Y to X, there is no reason why you would do his job.

Well, actually, sometimes this is the way my partner and I work. If the native speaker of the target language has a large caseload when a great job comes in, the other one can do a basic translation and the native speaker can edit and proofread. Editing takes a lot less time than translating, and so can often be fitted into an otherwise too busy schedule.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 20

@Preston H wrote:

No.

ONLY if the native speaker is also hired by the client. Allowing anyone else to work on the client's project is a serious policy violation.

I have long wondered how and when you became fluent in Japanese, or a translator...

Highlighted
Ateafac J Member Since: Jun 11, 2020
19 of 20

**Edited for community guidelines**

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
20 of 20

Hi Ateafac,

Just to confirm that Upwork does not work like this. For help getting started, check our Freelancer Guide. It covers everything from finding great projects that fit your skills to increasing your rate and getting stellar feedback.
Also be sure to check out our online course for information on how you can build a strong profile, win high-quality jobs, and start getting paid.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS