🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » How to edit manuscripts?
Page options
jyoder7
Community Member

How to edit manuscripts?

I've recently signed up and am eager to assist others with writing, but how is it actually done? I do all my writing in Microsoft Word 2002 (on an older machine) but obviously it can't open all docs. Is there an internal online editor that everyone uses at Upwork?

Hopefully the latter, as I don't want to say I can help someone and then receive a Mac document I can't open. And would I be making permanent changes to their doc, or would the client see my "recommended changes," which they can either accept or reject?

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is there an internal online editor that everyone uses at Upwork?"

No.

Your understanding of Upwork is not complete.

Upwork is not a tool for editors.

It is a general-purpose online freelancing platform. Upwork does not provide specialized tools or services for individual job niches.

I know Upwork isn't a tool for editors; I simply meant for those types of jobs. Sorry I wasn't clear. Thanks for your answer, as I now see I need to have all necessary software.

For those who do proofreading, editing, and ghostwring, do you think MS Word 2002 is sufficient, or do I need to upgrade it and/or have other word processors at my disposal?

tta192
Community Member

All Upwork does is connect you with the client. All technical aspects of the job are between you and the person hiring you.

So this is a question you should ask your client, preferably before they actually hire you. It would be unfortunate to start the contract and then discover you cannot actually do the job, as it would almost guarantee a bad feedback on your profile.

kfarnell
Community Member

MS Word 2002 is adequate, assuming that you have added a patch so you are able to open docx as well as doc files.

@Jeremy Y wrote:

For those who do proofreading, editing, and ghostwring, do you think MS Word 2002 is sufficient, 

I don't know Word 2002, but I think that you need to have the tools required to perform the services that you are offering. If Word 2002 is not enough, then maybe should you get a newer version, which may require a newer PC.

Usually, clients expect freelancers to have the tools to do the work.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
colettelewis
Community Member

@Jeremy Y wrote:

I've recently signed up and am eager to assist others with writing, but how is it actually done? I do all my writing in Microsoft Word 2002 (on an older machine) but obviously it can't open all docs. Is there an internal online editor that everyone uses at Upwork?

Hopefully the latter, as I don't want to say I can help someone and then receive a Mac document I can't open. And would I be making permanent changes to their doc, or would the client see my "recommended changes," which they can either accept or reject?

Thanks in advance.

If you use the track and change functions - you can send your client a marked-up copy of the text and then send a clean copy once you have discussed the changes you have suggested, and your client has approved.

But I agree with René. If you want to keep up with the modern editing world, you really need to upgrade your PC. (And I know how you feel - I'm an XP widow and I still feel the loss!)