🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: How to report a cheater?
Page options
jaypabs
Community Member

How to report a cheater?

Hi everyone,

I'd like to report somebody who writes article in unicode format so their work can't be detected as copy/pasted by copyscape.com or even by google.com.

I thought I'll encounter this kind of writer in fiverr but they also exist in here. They can trick others specially those who don't know how to detect if the article is copy/pasted or not.

13 REPLIES 13
robin_hyman
Community Member

Jomar P wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'd like to report somebody who writes article in unicode format so their work can't be detected as copy/pasted by copyscape.com or even by google.com.

I thought I'll encounter this kind of writer in fiverr but they also exist in here. They can trick others specially those who don't know how to detect if the article is copy/pasted or not.

Is this a fixed-price project or hourly?  You don't have to approve the work and you can cancel the contract at any time.  Additionally, I would flag the freelancer (on your communication and by sending a ticket to customer support) so Upwork is aware.  

A moderator will probably chime in shortly....

Thanks.

All of her sample is in unicode format. I hope some of us here are aware that copyscape.com can't detect such content if it's copy/pasted.

Please tell upwork's customer support to investigate all of her work so the money can be refunded to other customer.

petra_r
Community Member

Is it not possible that she writes her samples in unicode so others can not copy and steal her samples?

Did you hire and pay that freelancer?

Good point, Petra.

Wendy C wrote:

Good point, Petra.

Would it not be incredibly painful to write a whole article in unicode though?

Bojan S wrote:

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll gladly check that and escalate accordingly.

Bojan, having samples in unicode (by itself) does not violate any terms of service

jaypabs
Community Member

Really? It's just a sample and why she is afraid of stealing it?

The point here is that, if you don't know that the content is in unicode format, and when you check it through copyscape.com, it won't be detected.

petra_r
Community Member

Jomar P wrote:

Really? It's just a sample and why she is afraid of stealing it?

Because clients steal samples they get from freelancers, and freelancers run all over the platform stealing samples from other peoples' profiles.

Jomar P wrote:

The point here is that, if you don't know that the content is in unicode format, and when you check it through copyscape.com, it won't be detected.

The point here is: Did you hire that freelancer and got plagiarised work? (Just trying to work out your angle here...)

I found this thread confusing at first, because Unicode is the standard encoding system in use these days. For example, documents saved in Microsoft Word will be in Unicode by default.

I believe that what these people are actually doing is not "converting to Unicode" but replacing some characters with identical-looking characters from different alphabets, such as Cyrillic.

As Petra notes, it would be tedious to do that by hand, character by character. But the process could easily be automated.

jaypabs
Community Member

How can I hire her if I know for sure that she's a cheater? It's a waste of time. All I need is for upwork to check the work of this freelancer. And I hope you understand that this is my experience before.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jomar,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll gladly check that and escalate accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
jaypabs
Community Member

Hi,

I have already sent you the profile link of the freelancer. I hope you can check her work to avoid this kind of freelancer.

Thank you

lysis10
Community Member

Good ol' Unicode spinning. Haven't seen that in ages. You can convert to ASCII for free using online tools (just search for unicode to ascii converter) and you'll find them. Then, I'd use the ASCII format to see if it's stolen. If so, yep, you got someone stealing content and spinning to avoid detection.

schardo
Community Member

Why does cheating always feel like more work than just....doing the real work.