🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: How to start working !
Page options
seagullfeb17
Community Member

How to start working !

I have created my profile, but only 40% is completed. I dont know how to complete the rest since I don't have ant specific project right now and I haven't any special experience ine the field aprt from experience at the university doing translation assignments which is of course consisting of alot of translation documents: media, business, technical ...and so on.

So any help please? I have been blocked and cant get a work to start with even if I make many bids. However, no client responds to my bids? Im confused! what to do please?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
silw
Community Member

Hi seagull, I have seen your post and I think I can give you some useful tips since I was in the same situation several months ago.
Starting freelancing as an artist full-time, entirely and only on upwork, without any experience in the field and no portfolio or results to present I fought through the rough start to get the first jobs landed.

While your situation sounds bad, some of your worries are actually not relevant, others are easy to solve.

It is irrelevant that you don't have any experience.
You client isn't looking for experience. He is looking for skill and needs someone who can solve his problem.
Actually, "experience" isn't a relevant indicator at all. Some people with half a year of experience in their job already overcome others with decades of experience. More experience doesn't mean BETTER, it just means LONGER.

If your portfolio is killer, nobody will care how long you are doing something, or how experienced you are.
If your work is compelling and displays the required skills, it will speak for itself and nobody will ask you what your education level is.
People are looking for the best, not for the one guy doing stuff the longest.

Which leads me to the point that is easy to solve:

Create work for your portfolio.
Don't just do "something" for the sake of having something to show.

Chose a topic you want to get clients in, be your own client and create a job brief for yourself. Try to achieve the set target the best way possible, review your own work and question yourself if the result is something you are willed to pay money for.

Is the answer yes? Great, you just created a portfolio piece about topic "xyz" for "a client".
Try to get 3 killer portfolio pieces together that display the peak of your skillset, and you are good to go.

Lastly, finetune for your profile is your profile picture.

While you seem to be a friendly and entertaining person, I am not sure if your visual appearance displays the serious look you need to compel your potential clients.
Maybe try a more business-oriented picture?
The site https://www.photofeeler.com/ gives an easy and free way to check how your image appears to other people.

When looking for your first job, basically do ANYTHING to make that first 5-star rating work.
Try to look for small fixed price jobs exclusively.
The ideal job is small, doesn't take long, and the actual payment is rather irrelevant. This job shall just be a kickstart and the shorter it takes, the less time you lose for your actual work.

Try to make your text free from typos and mistakes. If you want to translate documents, it has to be 100% on point, all the time.

Don't advertise yourself to be something you aren't. If you say you are on top of your league, your work has to show, otherwise you will get angry clients and bad ratings.

I hope this helps a bit.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
lysis10
Community Member

how do you expect to take on projects if you have experience in nothing? maybe the system is giving you a clue.

Thank you Jennifer for your observation. None is born with previous experience. It is acquired through work and difficulties one faces in everyday life. My point was that I'm preparing a MA degree in translation, and I have  in fact translated many documents and articles my teachers brought to class. These documùents concerns media, business, and technical documents. Legal and medicat translation is still coming next semester. The problem is that I haven't had the chance to get into field practice. That's why I'm trying to use the system as you mentioned ( upwork for instance ) to sharpen my experience. This of course needs some guidance and some help. And I 'm sure these two will be put me on the right rail, because I'm sure I can give a quality product.  However, the problem that imposes itself is that how can a client trust me for the first time and my profile shows "newbie" even if I can translate almost like, if not better than, an exprienced one. I bid on client's request and I see the attached file. I can do it with a better quality, but the client doesnt trust me with "NO" previous work on my profile. And that's the big question facing me right now!

Seagull, you have a few problems.

One is that although you are correct and no one is "born with experience," freelancing is largely for the experienced. Clients come to Upwork and other freelancing platforms to hire experts--people who they know can reliably perform tasks that they may be unable to complete in-house. Often, when a skill like translation is involved, the client doesn't have the expertise to judge the quality of the work and must be able to rely on the professional.

Another problem is that the Arabic translation market on Upwork is flooded with freelancers. You have quite a lot of competition, much from more experienced freelancers.

You also call yourself out as an amateur by offering bi-directional translation, a practice that is frowned upon by respected and credentialed translators. 

Finally, your English is not good enough to be translating into English. Your English writing, while understandable, is a mass of small grammatical errors, strange word choices and other problems that would render a document useless for anything beyond gaining basic understanding of the content.

Tiffany is correct, you shouldn't be attempting to translate into English until you have more proficiency with English. To take one example, in your reply to Jennifer, you wrote,

"And I 'm sure these two will be put me on the right rail, because I'm sure I can give a quality product."

Just one sentence, with at least 2 obvious errors in it. The correct version should read something like this:

"And I 'm sure these two will put me on the right track, because I'm sure I can give a quality product." And that's not to say it can't be improved further, for instance, by replacing "give" with another verb, such as deliver or provide, because you want to be paid for your product, so you probably don't want to give it.

@John K wrote:

Tiffany is correct, you shouldn't be attempting to translate into English until you have more proficiency with English.

Not even then, John. The first skill a translator needs to have is writing in his or her native language (*). They teach you writing techniques in translation classes, way before they teach you linguistics. It is only in your native language that you can demonstrate the best of your writing skills. This is the reason why professional translators only translate into their native language.

(*) A person's native language may not be their usual language anymore in some cases. They may even have attained a native command of another language while their native language skills had faded away, but those cases are exceptions.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

(*) A person's native language may not be their usual language anymore in some cases. They may even have attained a native command of another language while their native language skills had faded away, but those cases are exceptions.

It so happens I'm one of those cases, by the way. English is not my mother tongue, but it became my native language in my late teens. It's mysterious how without being aware of a transition, you end up thinking in a different language than the one one you grew up with.

@John K wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

It so happens I'm one of those cases, by the way. English is not my mother tongue, but it became my native language in my late teens. It's mysterious how without being aware of a transition, you end up thinking in a different language than the one one you grew up with.

One learns a language very fast at a young age. Late teens is almost late so it usually requires more time than let's say when you're 7 or 10, but eventually if you grow up in a country and if you use the local language daily, it becomes your native language.

What was your mother tongue? Were you speaking it at home when young? Do you still speak it?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene, Japanese is my mother tongue, so until my mother passed away, I spoke it regularly. When I moved to Hawaii from the US mainland, I did a stint early on as a Japanese-speaking tour guide, with mixed results, but that's the last time I spoke it with regularity, so it's rusty, especially in vocabulary.

@Rene K wrote:

@John K wrote:

Tiffany is correct, you shouldn't be attempting to translate into English until you have more proficiency with English.

Not even then, John. The first skill a translator needs to have is writing in his or her native language (*). They teach you writing techniques in translation classes, way before they teach you linguistics. It is only in your native language that you can demonstrate the best of your writing skills. This is the reason why professional translators only translate into their native language.

_____

That is absolutely right. Sometimes I get invitations to jobs requiring translation into English and politely decline them because I do not feel I can provide a high-quality task, despite I've been working with and for English speakers for 15 years now, simply because I am not English native; my Spanish will always be better than my English.  

On the other hand, a couple of days ago I applied to a job requiring translation into Spanish (Spain), even though one of the requirements was to also have a native level of English. I just explained the reason why I was bidding even considering my English is Fluent and not Native or Bilingual. I focused on the fact that I was required to translate into Spanish, and proved my Spanish native level and writing skills when answering a couple of questions the Client wanted to be answered in Spanish. There you go... I got the job. 🙂 

I'm not saying this always works for me to get jobs, 'cause it doesn't, but this is always my line of thinking so I act and bid consequently.

Noelia B.

@Seagull F wrote:

Thank you Jennifer for your observation. None is born with previous experience. It is acquired through work and difficulties one faces in everyday life. My point was that I'm preparing a MA degree in translation, and I have  in fact translated many documents and articles my teachers brought to class. These documùents concerns media, business, and technical documents. Legal and medicat translation is still coming next semester. The problem is that I haven't had the chance to get into field practice. That's why I'm trying to use the system as you mentioned ( upwork for instance ) to sharpen my experience. This of course needs some guidance and some help. And I 'm sure these two will be put me on the right rail, because I'm sure I can give a quality product.  However, the problem that imposes itself is that how can a client trust me for the first time and my profile shows "newbie" even if I can translate almost like, if not better than, an exprienced one. I bid on client's request and I see the attached file. I can do it with a better quality, but the client doesnt trust me with "NO" previous work on my profile. And that's the big question facing me right now!

These questions really identify the winners from the losers. You need to figure it out yourself. All of us figured it out. 

The best thing to do is get a real job and come back in 10 years.

@Preston H wrote:

Seagull:

Your path to success lies in seeking opportunties for earning income, learning more, and enjoying life in your local community.

The best advise I could give you would be for you to block any computer you have access to from connecting to the "Upwork.com" domain.

Good heavens Preston, that is a bit drastic.

@]Seagull,

In your proposals, you need to convince your prospective clients that you can do as good a job on his or her project as any of the possibly 50 people who have also applied for it. As Arabic is your native language, you should also put that down as native/bilingual under "languages". You should only offer translation services from French or English into Arabic, not vice versa.

You also need to add a portfolio to your profile. If you are showing prospective clients samples of your work in your proposals, then make sure that your work into Arabic is as flawless as possible. Get someone to proofread them for you.

ETA: You should also do a few Upwork tests that relate to your advertised skills, but only publish results that are "above average" and higher.

Just add the portofolio by your self. Not necessary from the other. Let the other people appraise. For the one which is doesn't have field experiences,it's worked.

For a long time experiences in translating, I believe that you have sample of your portofolio. Add that in your profile

I have no idea.. That what can I income in this business plzz help me.
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rupa,

It looks like you haven't submitted your profile for a review yet. Please make sure all the fields are completed and then submit your application for the review at the bottom of the page. Our team will reach out to you with the results within 24 hours.

Please check out these threads Getting Started on Upwork and Hiring Headquarters. There you’ll find some excellent articles and learn more about Upwork. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
silw
Community Member

Hi seagull, I have seen your post and I think I can give you some useful tips since I was in the same situation several months ago.
Starting freelancing as an artist full-time, entirely and only on upwork, without any experience in the field and no portfolio or results to present I fought through the rough start to get the first jobs landed.

While your situation sounds bad, some of your worries are actually not relevant, others are easy to solve.

It is irrelevant that you don't have any experience.
You client isn't looking for experience. He is looking for skill and needs someone who can solve his problem.
Actually, "experience" isn't a relevant indicator at all. Some people with half a year of experience in their job already overcome others with decades of experience. More experience doesn't mean BETTER, it just means LONGER.

If your portfolio is killer, nobody will care how long you are doing something, or how experienced you are.
If your work is compelling and displays the required skills, it will speak for itself and nobody will ask you what your education level is.
People are looking for the best, not for the one guy doing stuff the longest.

Which leads me to the point that is easy to solve:

Create work for your portfolio.
Don't just do "something" for the sake of having something to show.

Chose a topic you want to get clients in, be your own client and create a job brief for yourself. Try to achieve the set target the best way possible, review your own work and question yourself if the result is something you are willed to pay money for.

Is the answer yes? Great, you just created a portfolio piece about topic "xyz" for "a client".
Try to get 3 killer portfolio pieces together that display the peak of your skillset, and you are good to go.

Lastly, finetune for your profile is your profile picture.

While you seem to be a friendly and entertaining person, I am not sure if your visual appearance displays the serious look you need to compel your potential clients.
Maybe try a more business-oriented picture?
The site https://www.photofeeler.com/ gives an easy and free way to check how your image appears to other people.

When looking for your first job, basically do ANYTHING to make that first 5-star rating work.
Try to look for small fixed price jobs exclusively.
The ideal job is small, doesn't take long, and the actual payment is rather irrelevant. This job shall just be a kickstart and the shorter it takes, the less time you lose for your actual work.

Try to make your text free from typos and mistakes. If you want to translate documents, it has to be 100% on point, all the time.

Don't advertise yourself to be something you aren't. If you say you are on top of your league, your work has to show, otherwise you will get angry clients and bad ratings.

I hope this helps a bit.

First of all, I would like to thank all people on the Upwork platform who choose to react to my question. Honestly, I find some criticisms very shocking and very deconstructive. Some freelancers overreact to my question and assail me with such big words and degrading language. I asked for some help my friend; so there is no need to be rude in your remarks. What you can say in an offensive manner, you can say it politely. Is there any harm in that? Does it cost you a lot to be polite in your speech? I am not perfect and none is too. We all make mistakes and we learn from our mistakes until one day we became well trained. We all need help in away or another; if it is not today then one day we will need it of course.

However, other freelancers were very friendly and very helpful in fact. Their criticism was very constructive and full of advice and instructions. Their ideas were clear, precise, to the point and expressed in such a highly civilized language. They were neither arrogant nor boastful; they were very modest and very friendly in deed. They show their noble race and noble heart not only to me, but to all freelancers on the Upwork platform. To all of them I say THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help.

**THANK YOU SO MUCH ARON H. “chapeau man!”**

you're welcome

0d7f65cc
Community Member

Hi Aron,
I just created Upwork Freelancer account yesterday.

I am going to start to work, but I have no idea how to start.

Is there any chance you could possibly let me know how to start and what to start?

Thank you

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Andy,

Welcome to Upwork! Please read this help article to find out how to find work and how to submit proposals for jobs that you find to suit your skills and experience. Make sure to check out these threads Getting Started on Upwork and Resource Corner. There you’ll find some excellent topics and learn more about Upwork. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
0d7f65cc
Community Member

Hi Bojan!

How are you doing?

I am gonna ask a question.

I want to get the first project as soon as possible.

I am seeing there are many projects that I can complete.

How many proposals can I submit per day?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Andy,

There is no limit on how many proposals you can submit per day. When you apply for jobs, make sure your proposal is well written and that you're absolutely qualified and certain of your ability to complete the job you're applying for.

Good luck! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
soawd
Community Member

I am mizan ,I want to start work up work community

Hi Mizanur, 

Could you please clarify if you are referring to interested in tips on how to get started? If so I would like to recommend to check out this Community board as it has many great articles to help you boost your career on Upwork and this thread to help you get started. Feel free to follow up if you have further questions.

~ Nikola
Upwork
c369c351
Community Member

Hiii.. I am rupa. I want to start the business but I don't know how to start the business... Plzz tell me. And if have any work then send me.