cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to translate mobile apps? What skills do I need to learn?

lyhanhtien
Tien L Member Since: May 4, 2017
1 of 7

I am a newbie translator. There are a lot of clients need their apps translated. But I don't know whether I need to learn about HMTL and other skills about IT, or not.

Looking forward to your replies.

Thank you!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7

This forum is for discussing Upwork. This is not really an Upwork issue. Those of us who post freelancer profile pages and present ourselves as having certain skills did not learn those skills here.

If any Forum participants want to offer tips, of course they are welcome to do so. But if you are serious about learning how to do this, I think you will need to look to other resources. Or you could post a job on Upwork.com asking for freelancers to train you how to do this.

Speaking generally, if I was a project owner or project manager for an app, I would make sure that when I hire translators, I hire them ONLY to translate. I would provide them with simple text files containing the text strings within the app which need to be translated. I would my technical team handle the actual mechanics of using the provided translations to localize an app or make an app multilingual.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 7

@Preston H wrote:

1). This forum is for discussing Upwork. This is not really an Upwork issue

2) Speaking generally, if I was a project owner or project manager for an app, I would make sure that when I hire translators, I hire them ONLY to translate. I would provide them with simple text files containing the text strings within the app which need to be translated. I would my technical team handle the actual mechanics of using the provided translations to localize an app or make an app multilingual.

1) This is the writing and translation forum. The question is a translation question and a perfectly valid one.

2) Why would you do that if there are literally endless practical, easy to use and proven ways from POeditor to Trados for translators to localise apps? How many apps have you localised in your proposed manner?

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 7

@Petra R wrote:

1) This is the writing and translation forum. The question is a translation question and a perfectly valid one.

Preston's point was that this is not the place to learn about the skills that one intends to sell. I agree with him.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
petra_r
Community Guru
5 of 7

@Rene K wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Preston's point was that this is not the place to learn about the skills that one intends to sell. I agree with him.

I agree with that point, too 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 7

Most of the major CAT, such Trados or Cafetran, handle HTML.

Off topic. About Tien's profile: Translating English - Vietnamese (and vice versa

Vice versa? Certainly not. And a translator is not someone who knows a foreign language.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
petra_r
Community Guru
7 of 7

@Tien L wrote:

I am a newbie translator. There are a lot of clients need their apps translated. But I don't know whether I need to learn about HMTL and other skills about IT, or not.

Looking forward to your replies.

Thank you!

Tine, no, you do not need to learn HTML, but you likely need to learn about how to use various tools and file types which are commonly used for the translation of apps and software.

I have yet to meet one which could not be figured out quickly and easily.