🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » How to write winning proposals?
Page options
448e1445
Community Member

How to write winning proposals?

Hello, everyone. I hope you all are having a great time on Upwork. I'm here to share my knowledge about proposal writing. I have been working on Upwork for over two years and have had my share of good and bad proposals. Listed below are the 5 proposal writing tips that helped me a lot.

1. Keep your proposals short.

You might be tempted to add a lot to your cover letter. However, putting all the information in a tiny space won't get you a job        many times. On the contrary, a short and simple proposal is both easy to create and gets the job done most of the time.

2. Include Samples.

If you do not have any work experience create samples for imaginary jobs. Submitting a proposal without any samples              attached is similar to planning a shopping trip with no money.

3. Read the Job Description.

Cliche but crucial. Often we miss the main point of the job description and jump over to create a proposal. Focusing        on the job description is the first step in landing the job.

4. Be Authentic.

Set real goals and don't over-promise. A proposal that promises a lot seems like a scam more than anything. So be                      authentic and only promise what you can actually deliver.

5. Set Your Availability.

Let the clients know when they can talk to you. Make it easier for them to connect with you and provide flexible options.

In conclusion, follow the KISS principle, and be flexible and authentic with your proposal. You can achieve your goals with more ease if you know the basics of proposal wriitng.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Writing winning proposals can be a key factor in getting hired. Here are some tips to help you write an effective proposal:

1. Research the project and client: Before writing your proposal, take the time to research the project and client profile. Try to understand what's important to the client, what problems need to be solved, and how you can help.

2. Write an attention-grabbing headline: Your headline should grab attention and immediately pique the client's interest. Use keywords related to the project and skills you're offering.

3. Briefly describe your skills and experience: In a few sentences, describe your skills and experience that will help the client solve their problem. Don't forget to explain why you're the best candidate for the job.

4. Offer a specific solution: In your proposal, offer a specific solution to the problem the client described. This can be your work plan or a proposal on how you can help solve the problem.

5. Specify your price and timeline: Specify your price and timeline for completing the project. Try to offer a competitive price based on your experience and market standards.

6. Be professional and polite: Remember that you represent your business, so be professional and polite in your communication with the client.

7. Use correct spelling and grammar: Check your proposal for grammar and spelling errors to create a good impression on the client.

By following these tips, you'll be able to write an effective proposal and increase your chances of getting hired.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
tsimbaniaina
Community Member

Hi Ashia 😊,

Thanks for sharing! I find this helpful.

I think I could learn more if you guys can provide some examples of good proposals.

Ryan

Writing winning proposals can be a key factor in getting hired. Here are some tips to help you write an effective proposal:

1. Research the project and client: Before writing your proposal, take the time to research the project and client profile. Try to understand what's important to the client, what problems need to be solved, and how you can help.

2. Write an attention-grabbing headline: Your headline should grab attention and immediately pique the client's interest. Use keywords related to the project and skills you're offering.

3. Briefly describe your skills and experience: In a few sentences, describe your skills and experience that will help the client solve their problem. Don't forget to explain why you're the best candidate for the job.

4. Offer a specific solution: In your proposal, offer a specific solution to the problem the client described. This can be your work plan or a proposal on how you can help solve the problem.

5. Specify your price and timeline: Specify your price and timeline for completing the project. Try to offer a competitive price based on your experience and market standards.

6. Be professional and polite: Remember that you represent your business, so be professional and polite in your communication with the client.

7. Use correct spelling and grammar: Check your proposal for grammar and spelling errors to create a good impression on the client.

By following these tips, you'll be able to write an effective proposal and increase your chances of getting hired.

Brilliant advise !

Commendable.

A life saving advice indeed. Many thanks.

Hello Mindia.

I read your post about how to write winning proposals.

That's very useful and helps me to understand a lot.

But there is one thing I want to make sure.

I am a newcomer to upwork.

I could not imagine about the sample to provide on upwork proposal.

Would you show me what it is and what it looks like.

mwalimumanu
Community Member

Many thanks for sharing this. Its very informative. 

864947d9
Community Member

Keeping proposals short and to the point is important, as clients don't have a lot of time to read through long proposals. Providing samples is also a great way to showcase your skills and experience. Reading the job description is crucial to understanding what the client is looking for and tailoring your proposal to their needs. Being authentic and setting realistic goals is important to building trust with clients. And finally, setting your availability and making it easy for clients to connect with you can make all the difference in getting hired.

e4b3d34d
Community Member

Hello  Ashia,

hope you are doing well.thans for your kind breif description related to perposal submission, i am new here in upwork plateform ,i have submitted multiples of perposals for data entry as i have experience in, unfortunatly i didnot get a single one ,now all my connects are used , so can you plz help me how i can get them .

and i need some more suggestations from you regarding perposal submossion to get my very first order.

thanks,

ishaal fatima

Debes comprar más conexiones y/o suscribirte a plus, en este ultimo te dan más cantidad de conexiones al mes.

Posdata: Al igual que tú, gasté todas mis conexiones y no he tenido más que un contrato, con el que no me sentí muy bien trabajando ni me resultó de tanto provecho monetario. 

Hey, Ishal. You can send me a private message anytime. I'll be happy to help!

I understood you, cause I spent all my connections without answers.

Hello Ishal,

I'm also a newbie here yet to land my first order too. But I noticed your profile is set to private, this could be one of the reasons your proposal isn't getting any chance. I think it will be helpful if you take a look at your profile. Also make sure your availability is set, thank you. I hope you get your first order soonest.

Thanks a lot.

b3b46648
Community Member

Gracias por tu aaporte, estoy segura nos será de utilidad. 

¡Mi placer! ¡Deseo que consigas un proyecto pronto! 

P.S. Sorry if something's wrong. It's Google translate 😁

65453e5a
Community Member

Helpful.thank you,,,actually were it not for these article I would have depleted my connects without getting any job because i was submitting my proposals without any samples.Thanks again this was indeed insightful.

Happy to help! Feel free to reach out if needed.

Hello Ashia

760e26af
Community Member

I have a question. I'm new to upwork but not to the business world or IT. How do you land your first gig? How many companies do you have to submit to? How do you show samples of previous work? It would be nice to see the format of what that looks like.

Hello, Eric!

1. Samples are being placed in your profile, in the portfolio section. I don't remember the format. The app shows, which format is needed.

2. About the first gig: it depends (from 10 up to 80 proposals). If you're not new to your field of expertise and have a built-up portfolio and confidence, you probably will land it faster.

PS. You can drive traffic from LinkedIn or other places😅 and ask them to post the job here on Upwork))).

How do you boost traffic from Linkedin when applying for a job n upwork?

And, niche down. If what you do is a rare thing, clients themselves send you offers, and you don't have to bid.

You can open 2 or more profiles (a separate bio) within your account. And, make one of them very niche-specific).

Thanks for that.........I will NICHE DOWN....i even cleaned up my Projects I am preparing.....I was all over the place with Bitcoin and ESG.....I am trying to also FOCUS on the ESG Start Ups and the Best Cryptocurrency since we have Fed Now.....and the Federal Reserve printed too much US$s so BITCOIN looks really good......

I was all over the place because I worked 3 three jobs and bought a condo and then I bought a my DREAM HOUSE that was 2006.  But the main thing about your CAREER is protection.  Boundaries keep people from ruining EVERYTHING you learned at university and your skils at work.

BOUNDARIES to protect your LAPTOP, equipment, files and resources.  That was a problem for me.  I HAD EVERYTHING....and I did not protect my EVERYTHING......

And then MANAGE YOU TOOLS and SKILLS and NICHE DOWN.

I haven't received a positive offer yet
c9e9e976
Community Member

Though I have not recieved a single order.

84e24c38
Community Member

Thanks for sharing.

b43e8da1
Community Member

This is really helpful, thank you so much.

691227d9
Community Member

Thanks mam 

Kiran
84e24c38
Community Member

Focus on the client immediately:Engage from word 1. Focus on your discussions:Stay on the topic at hand.Focus on the clarity:Keep your language easy to understand.Focus on the value of the solution: Give the buyer reasons to move forward.Focus the client on next steps: Include a call to action.

5c81486c
Community Member

Hello Ashia B, thanks for sharing the secret of writing a proposal...I have been searching on how I can get into your DM but I'm not getting it right... please if you send me a PM I'll appreciate it.. I'm confused about somethings I want to be clear about... Thanks!

d173df1a
Community Member

I agree with your points and I think they are very helpful for anyone who wants to write effective proposals on Upwork.

935d1fa9
Community Member

While it's tempting to provide an exhaustive cover letter, brevity often works wonders. Delivering your message succinctly can capture a client's attention quickly and leave a lasting impression.

Even if you lack real work experience, don't hesitate to create samples for hypothetical projects. A proposal without attached samples is akin to embarking on a shopping spree without a wallet. Samples add substance to your claims.

bba65bbf
Community Member

Impressive, thanks for the tips.

de61492f
Community Member

Hello Mindia.

I read your post about how to write winning proposals.

That's very useful and helps me to understand a lot.

But there is one thing I want to make sure.

I am a newcomer to upwork.

I could not imagine about the sample to provide on upwork proposal.

Would you show me what it is and what it looks like.

Thank you.

Steven.