🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Hyphens or dashes?
Page options
fantastika
Community Member

Hyphens or dashes?

Does anyone else use a "space-hyphen-space" in place of a dash?

For example:

• You may think she is a liar - she isn't.
  • She might come to the party - you never know.

However the copyeditor says this should be an "n-dash" or an "m-dash". I don;t have this "dash" character on my keyboard. And I thought it was okay to make a "dash" using the space-hyphen-space. Is the reader going to disparage my book becuase I did not use a dash?   

This is a basketball biography, and the copyeditor did other things I thought were strange. She (or He) marked as error sentences like this (copyeditor's suggested correction"s are in bold😞 :

4250 Jackie makes 10-of-11 ten of eleven from the line, on her way to 39 thirty-nine points, as Shawna
4251 pours in 15 fifteen – , 14 fourteen in the second half. (my space-hyphen-space has been  corrected to a comma, but in other places it is corrected to an "n-dash"). 
4252 The Cats roll, 79-52 . (my hyphen is "corrected" to a dash) 

If you read a newspaper story about basketball, you will see thst the scores are reported with hyphens, e.g., "Smallville was victorious, 67-66." and individual scoring is reported digitally - Bob Jones scored 12 points" - they don't write "Bob Jones scored twelve points."  Sometime they don;t even write out single digits - "Amber scored 16 and Amy added 6." 

I like this publisher becuase I trust them with the finances. They are quite ethical and honest.   

But the copyeditor is adamant - "I'm just following the Chicago Style handbook".   

Appareciate your thoughts, especially on hyphens and dashes. Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jim,

Could you please send me a private message with more information about your concern so that I can check?

Please note that Upwork’s Terms of Use provide that you cannot use a profile picture that misrepresents your identity or represents you as someone else. You can check this help article for more information.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Aleksandar D wrote:

Hi Jim,

Could you please send me a private message with more information about your concern so that I can check?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

"more information about your concern" - What does that mean? 

"so that I can check" Check what? Your authoritative source?

Jim, I have just spent quite a lot of time on your question and I wish I hadn't. 

Nobody can answer you as to what your copy editor or your publisher's work methods are. I have no idea what was deleted, **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Good luck with your book. 

fantastika
Community Member

Is this forum working, or am I being shadow-banned?

Hi Jim,

I can confirm your post is public and visible to all users of the Community.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Thank you, AG!

Wait, now it's downside up! Going most recent to older...

I am just wondering why the copyeditor (if they are actually a real person, and not a computer algorithm), would, after correcting the same type of, exactly the same error, 10 times in a row, in the first 20 lines of the manuscript, would not notice a pattern. She might say to herself, "Something odd, here - the writer always makes the same type of msitake." Then, get in touch with the writer and discuss, Instead, she plods on through the remaining 10000 lines of the book, marking up 5000 more of the exact same type of "error" Now it's 3 months later, and my book is not back at Square One. It's way behind Square One, becuase I have to recorrect her 5000 "corrections."

I've just seen this question in the Chicago forum. I'll be back. 

ETA:

So this is what Chicago says about numbers (paraphrased): 

In non-technical contexts the advice is to write whole numbers out in full from zero through to one hundred. 

There is an alternative rule (which is also that of most UK style guides) to write out numbers up to ten and then use numerals. 

Chicago also uses numerals for scores as can be seen in a small paragraph on the en dash for scores. "In other contexts, such as with scores and directions, the en dash signifies, more simply, to.

[...] On November 20,1966, Green Bay defeated Chicago, 13–6." (The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition). 

There are two later editions, but I shouldn't think this rule has changed that much. I haven't time to check. 

IHTH

colettelewis
Community Member

Jim,

Using the en or em dash for the sentences you are describing is a publishing convention in many of the main  US or UK English style guides. Chicago generally favours an em dash for the first two examples. (By the way, in the UW forums, I think you can make an en or em dash, but I can't remember how!) In the UK the convention is generally an en dash.

So: 

You may think she is a liar—she isn't. (Chicago: no spaces)

You may think she is a liar  –  she isn't. (Oxford Style Manuel/Hart's Rules: space on either side of the en dash) 

(If you have no way of inserting this then it is for your editor to do it. However, if must be consistent throughout for this sort of sentence). 

Unfortunately, I know nothing about basketball. However, I think you are quite right about the score points. I would not write these out in full (even the low numbers). As to the hyphen, I think in this instance it is perfectly acceptable between scores, but again, just make sure that they are consistent throughout. 

I question the hyphens (at all) in the 10-of-11-from the line. Perhaps 10 of 11 would be better.

The cats roll 79-52. Strictly speaking, this  should be an en dash. But again, the conventions can vary considerably, particularly in journalistic and website styles. What is important is consistency - either a hyphen or an en dash. 

If your copyeditor has been told to follow the house rules of your publisher, then they are doing what they have to do. But I would certainly question the writing of numbers out in full in the context of your book. 

Can I write ANYTHING whatsoever on this so-called "fourm" without it being edited, deleted or modified?

First off, it's plagiarism. second, this "improvement" process makes me responsible for something written under my name when I did NOT write it, making me liable for the words of someone else. 

Hi Jim,

I'd like to clarify that Upwork users are welcome to post on these boards when they have questions, need assistance or advice about any of Upwork features or processes and would like to interact with other members of this Community. We definitely encourage professional and helpful discussions. However, we may remove or edit content that is inappropriate or violates our Community Guidelines.

If you need assistance of our support team with anything related to your account or contract, feel free to send a moderator a private message or reach out to our support team on this page.

Also, I believe you had a question about the order in which posts are displayed on the page and that depends on how you sort it. Here is a screenshot of the setting you can use to change that order.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Also, I believe you had a question about the order in which posts are displayed on the page and that depends on how you sort it. Here is a screenshot of the setting you can use to change that order.

Like everything else here, that's not true either. Upwork, not me, selects the order 

Not all dashes work equally well on HTML pages or in default collations in database tables.

I have modified various dashes, including m-dashes and n-dashes, to be hyphens plenty of times.

It is typically easier to normalize all dashes into hyphens than to use proper HTML entities, modified database column collations or modified char sets in HTML headers and database connections.

Programmers and web designers typically know how to handle this multiple ways, and depending on the situation, will use one method or the other. So it is absolutely true that a writer's dashes may be retained in their original format, or not.

Preston H wrote:

Not all dashes work equally well on HTML pages or in default collations in database tables.

I have modified various dashes, including m-dashes and n-dashes, to be hyphen plenty of times.

I imagine in database tables it is somewhat different and indeed most style guides cover this. But in general terms if you do this when writing an article or a book for example, you would be wrong, and your editor would most certainly correct it. 

ETA: Except of course, as I said earlier,  in journalistic writing and on websites for dates, scores and such, hyphens are the rule, but in other instances, en dashes and em dashes are often used and respected. (On the UW forums I wince every time I type a hyphen when I want an em or en dash and at the same time, I dont like the -- or the --- to signify these!)

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, 

We've been following this conversation and I'll close the thread to further replies. Note that interpersonal disputes are not allowed in the Upwork Community. 
Our goal is not to censor but to make sure that the discussion in the community is professional, respectful, and abides by Community Guidelines.

~ Avery
Upwork