🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » I SIMPLY DONT KNOW HOW TO START AS A WRITER O...
Page options
nyagake
Community Member

I SIMPLY DONT KNOW HOW TO START AS A WRITER ON UPWORK

Hi up workers,

I simply don't know where to start as a writer on up work. I would like someone who has done it for long **edited for Community Guidelines** someone with a kind heart please help me I know you are out there please help me.

11 REPLIES 11
moonraker
Community Member

You should start by working on your profile. It is full of errors. 

Hey,

That's fine any suggestions on how I can make it better please.

There's no easy way to say this, but... If you can't see for yourself where the errors are, Kwendo, then you might need to realign your expectations. 

Its ok let me see how I will try working on it.
millermelanie
Community Member

You can be a writer but only in your native language. Your English is very good and you communicate clearly, but it is obvious that English is not your first language.  Good luck!

Melanie M wrote:

You can be a writer but only in your native language. Your English is very good and you communicate clearly, but it is obvious that English is not your first language.  Good luck!

English is one of the main languages in Kenya. And there are many Kenyans who have won Internataional literary prizes in English, even if their first language is Swahili, for example. 

Thank you for the clarification. I was judging by his portfolio that English was not his native language. On the other hand, it may very well be, but he isn't appropriately skilled at it. In that case, he needs to find another vocation. Writing isn't going to work out well for him. Again, thank you for the information! 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kwendo, 

I would recommend that you check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 

Hopefully, this helps you with your Upwork profile, and career. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork
nyagake
Community Member

Hi,
Thank you for the guidance will surely do that.
nb88
Community Member

Hi Kwendo, 

As others have said, your profile needs work. Draft it ten times until it reads well and is error-free. The best thing is to look at the successful freelancers in your area - what do their profiles look like? If you're looking for writing work, your profile needs to be perfect. Is there some niche or area in which you can show special knowledge? Anything other than writing even? Ideally, you'll also have samples of writing in your portfolio - otherwise how can clients judge your work? As you're starting out, try to keep your rate down for the moment. Best of luck with finding that first job!

Nick. 

90ad35d8
Community Member

Hi Kwendo,

What are you looking to write? I will be kind, but honest: Based on your post, if you are looking to write in English, you are going to need to study grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

It looks like you have experience in fields other than writing. Why not emphasize those in your profile instead? Based on your experience and education, I suggest sales, translation, or tutoring in skills you learned with your Medical Engineering degree. Otherwise, I suggest taking some courses to improve your writing skills.

I hope this helps!