🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Improving Category: "Academic Writing & R...
Page options
sarasaylor
Community Member

Improving Category: "Academic Writing & Research"

I've been freelancing on Upwork for over a year. I am an academic writing consultant and editor, so I used to find the "Academic Writing & Research" category useful for finding work. For the past couple of months, however, I've noticed that this category is increasingly filled with job posts that have no connection to academic writing or research.

For example, of the 30 most recent job posts currently displayed in this category, only 2 are related to academic work. The rest are for business proposals, resumes, digital content writing and SEO support for businesses, professional bios, and other non-academic projects.

Is there a way for freelancers to share feedback with Upwork when posts appear to be mis-categorized (or, in this case, when it appears that an entire category needs to be monitored more closely for accuracy)? Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Sara S wrote:

Is there a way for freelancers to share feedback with Upwork when posts appear to be mis-categorized (or, in this case, when it appears that an entire category needs to be monitored more closely for accuracy)? Thank you!

Short of manually reviewing every job post there isn't much that can be done about that.

hodgesh
Community Member

Interesting. I wonder whether this has anything to do with Upwork cracking down on academic fraud.

elyannie
Community Member

In your job feed you can mark jobs with the thumbs down icon as "just not interested" or "Doesn't match skill set" and so forth, I think this helps the algorithm of the job feed.

Elyannie W wrote:
In your job feed you can mark jobs with the thumbs down icon as "just not interested" or "Doesn't match skill set" and so forth, I think this helps the algorithm of the job feed.

Lol! That hasn't helped my job feed one iota. I don't even look at it anymore. 

If Upwork wants us to pay for connects (which I don't mind doing) it has to do something about its categories and the almost totally irrelevant and sometimes inappropriate job feeds! 

Nichola L wrote:

If Upwork wants us to pay for connects (which I don't mind doing) it has to do something about its categories and the almost totally irrelevant and sometimes inappropriate job feeds! 

I wonder how much Upwork can do. It seems that some clients don't know how to properly categorize their job posts.

Heaven H wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

I wonder how much Upwork can do. It seems that some clients don't know how to properly categorize their job posts.

I agree, but I was referring to the job feed not to job offers. I feel that Upwork could avoid suggesting I apply for Chinese>English or English>Chinese translation jobs, or to create websites, or to create/edit videos to mention just a few. 

researchediting
Community Member

Upwork's category is only a third resort for me. I get better results by custom search queries "clinical research edit" and "research editing." You might try any such specialized keywords from your work (e.g. "humanities") that are less likely to produce false positives.

bc64bff9
Community Member

how to write captivating proposals?