🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Inaccurate Test (English - Chinese Translatio...
Page options
ryanorz
Community Member

Inaccurate Test (English - Chinese Translation)

I took the English to "Simplified Cantonese" Translation Skill Test recently, and the questions were awful! It was definitely a product of Google Translate, most questions only have options that are grammatically incorrect. As a native Cantonese/Mandarin speaker with extensive translation experience, it was difficult to take such test due to the non-human/Google like translation. Also, Cantonese and Mandarin are two different dialects, where one is written in Traditional Chinese and the other one is written in Simplified Chinese. For translation of the written language, you can say "English to Simplified Chinese" or "English to Traditional Chinese". Whereas the spoken dialect you can say "English to Cantonese" or "English to Mandarin". If you want people to translate English words to colloquial terms, you would probably have to specify the regions too due to the size of China. Cantonese alone is spoken in the Guangdong province of China and Hong Kong SAR(Special Administrative Region) and Macau SAR. As for Mandarin, it's spoken in all of China. 

I saw community posts mentioning about the problems since 2017 and admins promised to contact the test providers and fix the problems. Fast forwarding to 2019, it seems like nothing has changed. Please fix the test, and if you need a hand, feel free to contact me.

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yeah... it is what it is.

Upwork doesn't create these tests. They're obtained through a vendor. You would need to talk to the vendor directly.

Preston H wrote:

Yeah... it is what it is.

Upwork doesn't create these tests. They're obtained through a vendor. You would need to talk to the vendor directly.

It's Upwork that needs to talk to (or probably replace) the vendor.

I can't help thinking that this is another case of Upwork putting on a show for the clients, with little substance behind the show. We could call them 'Potemkin tests'.