🐈 Community
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Is Article & Blog writing enough?
Page options
tr1997
Member

Is Article & Blog writing enough?

Hello,

          I hope everyone is in good health and safe. I will be waiting for your precious response to the following query.

 

- I am just starting out my career as a freelance writer not only on Upwork but also in the field of        Writing.

- I chose to be an Article & Blog writer.
- Please tell me that do I need to be more than just an Article & Blog Writer? For example, Copywriter, Editor & Proofreader, Article Re-writer, Script Writer, etc. 

Thank You So Much!

 

 

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Member


Talha R wrote:

 

- I am just starting out my career as a freelance writer not only on Upwork but also in the field of        Writing.

- I chose to be an Article & Blog writer.
- Please tell me that do I need to be more than just an Article & Blog Writer? For example, Copywriter, Editor & Proofreader, Article Re-writer, Script Writer, etc. 


Is there much demand for article & blog writing in your native language? 

I will write the Content in English though it is not my native language. 


Talha R wrote:

I will write the Content in English though it is not my native language. 


In that case I would strongly suggest you fix the English in your profile and especially those two portfolio items.  


Writing is one of the most competitive categories on Upwork, and clients expect at least that a writer can write in correct English.

 

Your feedback is valuable and important to me. I want to know if there is a problem with the English Grammer or the style of writing?
Can you please tell me a bit detailed that what should I do with the profile overview and with those two portfolios? 


Talha R wrote:

Your feedback is valuable and important to me. I want to know if there is a problem with the English Grammer or the style of writing?


Both. It's just all in poor English.

 


Talha R wrote:

Can you please tell me a bit detailed that what should I do with the profile overview and with those two portfolios? 


Fix (correct or rewrite) them if you can (I am not convinced your English is up to that) or try and think of another skill to offer.

Thank you so much for taking out so much time and review my profile and my portfolio as well. 


I don't know whether to agree or disagree with your comments because there are people in my country the native language of whom is not English and are doing freelancing jobs through the Upwork Platform and they get a really good amount. Some of those people are even younger than me. 

I would request you to suggest ways of improving English on a daily basis. Some free online resources that offer training or anything that you understand, is good for me to join. Because I have done a lot of hard work for months before breaking into this Platform and I cannot leave it this way.

I need some inspiration and motivation from your side. 

Thanks! 

90ad35d8
Member


Talha R wrote:

Hello,

          I hope everyone is in good health and safe. I will be waiting for your precious response to the following query.

 

- I am just starting out my career as a freelance writer not only on Upwork but also in the field of        Writing.

- I chose to be an Article & Blog writer.
- Please tell me that do I need to be more than just an Article & Blog Writer? For example, Copywriter, Editor & Proofreader, Article Re-writer, Script Writer, etc. 

Thank You So Much!

 

 


Hi Talha,

 

I glanced at the items in your portfolio. Petra is correct; your writing skills are not up to par with what the industry requires. Just for a very small example, take the first sentence of one of your blog posts:

 

"Now that you are fully conscious of the chronic diseases due to industrial meals or even if you are suffering from them."

 

Your spelling is fine and you have good vocabulary. But for one, this isn't even a complete sentence. Two, the wording is confusing. When you say "them," it sounds like the reader may be suffering from industrial meals, not chronic diseases. Being "fully conscious of chronic diseases" sounds like the readers is conscious of the fact that such diseases exist, not that they are caused by industrial meals. "Industrial meals" is not a known term.

 

I'm afraid your profile misrepresents you when you say your language is English and your level is fluent. When you say you are at "Bachelor's" level in writing, that is incorrect. Your degree is in engineering.

 

I have a bachelor's degree in English. I have years of experience and an extensive portfolio. And I still don't hear back from most of the article writing jobs I apply to on Upwork. 

 

I believe English is the most difficult language to learn, and you have done well with your vocabulary and spelling. But even 95% of my native English-speaking friends wouldn't be able to write an article up to par with industry standards, and wouldn't even want to try.

 

I hope you find something you love to do and succeed at!

 

All the best,

Amber

 

 

Thank you so much for taking out so much time and review my profile and my blog as well. 


I don't know whether to agree or disagree with your comments because there are people in my country who are doing freelancing jobs through the Upwork Platform and they get a really good amount. Some of those people are even younger than me. 

I would request you to suggest ways of improving English on a daily basis. Some free online resources that offer training or anything that you understand, is good for me to join. Because I have done a lot of hard work for months before breaking into this Platform and I cannot leave it this way.

I need some inspiration and motivation from your side. 

Thanks! 


Talha R wrote:

Thank you so much for taking out so much time and review my profile and my blog as well. 


I don't know whether to agree or disagree with your comments because there are people in my country who are doing freelancing jobs through the Upwork Platform and they get a really good amount. Some of those people are even younger than me. 

I would request you to suggest ways of improving English on a daily basis. Some free online resources that offer training or anything that you understand, is good for me to join. Because I have done a lot of hard work for months before breaking into this Platform and I cannot leave it this way.

I need some inspiration and motivation from your side. 

Thanks! 


Hi Tahla,

 

I don't know which English teaching resources online are the best ones; you would have to search online for those yourself (I'm not a TESOL teacher, Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages).

 

You mentioned that there are people in your country who are successful at this. I recommend that you connect with them and get some tips from them!

 

I wish you the best!

 

Amber

38b44506
Member

I'll excited for this job's.. I l'll give my best
resultsassoc
Member

Fluency in the language is insufficient. Fluency in the subject matter and the culture of the author/reader are also needed. Even then, you need to be able to write in the language without first translating from your mother tongue. Petra does that. I am not convinced you do.

 

Consider translating from English into your native language. Few people can do a great job unless the destination language is native. You may have more than one native language, or your native language might vary by subject . My mother tongue is English; my native language for medicine is German, for nuclear power is French and for household appliances is Spanish. I only do translation work as a favor for friends and management consulting clients.

Upcoming Events
Dec 13
Succeeding with Clients Talent Toolbox
Dec 21
Virtual Community Hour Community Hour