🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Is it a bad idea to specialize in product des...
Page options
slschakel
Community Member

Is it a bad idea to specialize in product descriptions?

Hi Everyone,

I started out on Upwork with an extremely broad range of services from resume writing to product descriptions. I've always known I needed to pick a niche and become an expert in it.

About the same time I earned the top rated status, I started getting regular invites rolling in, but almost all of them are for product descriptions. At first, I thought I'd just go with it, and I branded myself as a go-to product description writer. It's lead to some pretty exciting success, as my latest big client is paying $37.50- $50 per description. I didn't even fathom those numbers for product descriptions would be possible!

Now I'm wondering if it's realistic to expect tons of clients willing to pay those rates for product descriptions. It seems unusual, but it's hard to tell because obviously I'm pretty new to this field and I don't have any mentors or friends in freelancing.

I'm worried I've become too comfortable by just accepting invites for product descriptions instead of actively pursuing other areas of writing. 

I asked on a forum on a different website, and I got the usual negativity about Upwork being a waste of time, and that I would only find jobs that pay 2 cents a word.  That's never been the case for me, but it does have me wondering if I'm headed down the wrong path by specializing in product descriptions.

I'd really appreciate any insight you have, and thanks for reading!

16 REPLIES 16
colettelewis
Community Member

Product description writing is not easy - you have to pull in the punters in very few words. If your words sell the product, your clients are going to be happy campers. So my view would be stay with the price and stay with the niche, especially if you are getting the clients.

Which is not to say that you shouldn't look at and apply for other writing jobs such as resume writing.

But I have found that what I want to do doesn't always go with the jobs I get on Upwork. I get more translating jobs on Upwork than I do on other sites or privately, which tend to be a balance of translation and editing.

Mixing my metaphors here - but you have to cut your coat to suit your site! 😉

Thank you so much for your insight! You know, my gut has always been telling me to keep sticking with it if that's what people are paying me good money to do. It's hard to know when to listen to your gut and when to follow others advice when you're still new. But, it makes me feel much more confindent to have someone else say it's not "wrong"!

Sophie, a lot of very successul FLers work within their particular  niche.  It is what they enjoy and some of them at least are paid very nicely for their work.

On the other hand, most of my U work has been writing and helping brand websites.  The subject matter is rarely the same.  Clients' collateral work - be it a door hanger; product packaging; eBooks, etc. is never the same.  If I had to write within a niche market when it came to content, style, and approach I would be bored to tears.

Do what makes you happy.  Mix and match if you want.  To me, that makes sense because market demands always are in flux.

tlbp
Community Member

I tend to work in one primary area while developing skills for one or two others. I personally think product descriptions will stay a strong field as Amazon.com continues to move into broader markets. However, the way content is presented could change. So I would also recommend building on those skills. Always have a few backup skills that you can pull out if your primary market drops off. 

lysis10
Community Member

ha mannn small world! I've been trying to get people to reddit. I remember your post and where you posted it!

I gave you an answer there but just had to LOL because I remember your post from reddit.

The writers here could teach the /r/freelancewriters group a thing or two. It's a lot of mill writers and man some of it is sad. Join us! they hate on Upwork writers so I gotta keep them in check. 

Since this place is no longer really open to opinions and seems to be getting worse, you guys should come join us on /r/freelancewriters /r/freelancers and /r/upwork. The first two are cool cuz it's a lot of different people from different areas. Some good info there and some really sad hopeless ones too. But I've been reading for marketing tips and strategies. Some people have good ideas.

Edited cuz wine:30 and I really do know the difference between too and to and two.

@Jennifer M wrote:

ha mannn small world! I've been trying to get people to reddit. I remember your post and where you posted it!

I gave you an answer there but just had to LOL because I remember your post from reddit.

The writers here could teach the /r/freelancewriters group a thing or two. It's a lot of mill writers and man some of it is sad. Join us! they hate on Upwork writers so I gotta keep them in check. 

Since this place is no longer really open to opinions and seems to be getting worse, you guys should come join us on /r/freelancewriters /r/freelancers and /r/upwork. The first two are cool cuz it's a lot of different people from different areas. Some good info there and some really sad hopeless ones too. But I've been reading for marketing tips and strategies. Some people have good ideas.

Edited cuz wine:30 and I really do know the difference between too and to and two.

I love anarchy. 

(There is also to and fro ;))

ha! Oh man I don't know if I want to label it anarchy. Probably get me into trouble. Hey it's Upwork's forum and they can do what they want. So, myself and a couple of others have tried to get the word out about /r/Upwork where we can post our opinions and info without all of the trouble. The freelancewriters sub could really use some help, but they hate hate hate Upwork writers. LOL So I'm there to represent!

Looks like a few people are on there, so welcome whoever you are!

BTW, Reddit mods can't see IPs or email addresses or anything private. I'm a mod of a small sub with a group of rejects that got sick of the forum rules, so we moved to Reddit. I can't see anyone's IP or their pesonal info. I can only see traffic numbers, so if anyone is worried that the mods there can see who you are, they can't.

Of course, Reddit admins who run the site can, but Reddit admins don't get involved unless a mod asks for help with trolls. They will remove doxxing info too and notify the mod that they stepped in, but nothing serious. It's common sense though don't post people's private info. As long as no one does that, we can have opinions and things and disagree for reals!

I'm gonna check out those subreddits now. Just please don't leave these forums completely, Jenn. This place would be too bland without the spice that you and a few others bring.

@Heath S wrote:

I'm gonna check out those subreddits now. Just please don't leave these forums completely, Jenn. This place would be too bland without the spice that you and a few others bring.

ha! well, I'm not flouncing. I'm just finding a place where we can more freely talk about the fraud profiles and problems/solutions. The sub reddit is great. No heavy handed rules. Mod seems cool. And mods here don't have to worry about us accusing people of misconduct. It's no fun by myself so I'm trying to get the word out to join us!

There are people from here that went stealth and post there. I don't know who they are but I got giggles.

/r/freelancewriters is sad because of the mill writers and what they consider "good" work but a few people here and there have good ideas. I just get a giggle when they talk trash about Upwork writers. lol I guess from the outside looking in, Upwork does look like trash but obviously it's not all trash. 

The one that is really good I think for marketing and branching out from mills/Upwork is /r/freelancers. It's a lot of different types sharing ideas.

I'm really just looking for a place where Upworkers can more freely talk about things, disagree with clients, point out fraud profiles, and be open about their opinions without posts getting removed for whatever violation. I need this or I'll go crazy reading through the forum looking at all the frauds and thinking "wonder how much he'll scam someone out of" lol.

I'm subscribed to all of those subreddits too 😛 Maybe we've run into each other if you're a frequent poster there. I do post replies to interesting (or semi-interesting) threads over there when I'm kinda bored 😉

@Jerry J wrote:

I'm subscribed to all of those subreddits too 😛 Maybe we've run into each other if you're a frequent poster there. I do post replies to interesting (or semi-interesting) threads over there when I'm kinda bored 😉

lol I know who you are on reddit. I forget what post you made that gave you away. Not that I'm all that hard to identify either. We've gone at it and of course I don't care. I'm russling lots of jimmies on the freelancewriters sub. They hate Upwork writers and it's so funny cuz they are all low level mill writers. LOL

I went there to see some cool marketing and interesting things but lots of those people are dumb betas. It's hilarious though cuz they think they are ballers and hate on Upwork writers so I need to remind them of where they are in the grand caste system of life.

I'm gonna transition to my stealth name though. it's just a pain to keep two accounts. 

@Jennifer M wrote:
lol I know who you are on reddit. I forget what post you made that gave you away.

And here I thought I was operating at Batman-level privacy Smiley Frustrated

@Jerry J wrote:

@Jennifer M wrote:
lol I know who you are on reddit. I forget what post you made that gave you away.

And here I thought I was operating at Batman-level privacy Smiley Frustrated

Essential to the trope of the superhero with a secret identity is that someone is always on the point of, if not actually, figuring it out. Apparently no bad guy has ever trained a long-range shotgun mic on Superman and Batman while they're addressing each other as Bruce and Clark.

Oh that's too funny! I wish I would have posted here first because I'm getting completely different responses here! I'll definitely join up on the other Reddit communities. I do think every now and then someone drops extremely helpful advice, but they're sure are a lot of negative Nancys! Thanks for the info!

And, thanks to everyone weighing in on the niches subject! It sounds like as long as I still occasionally push myself into new areas, it's okay to just do my thing and enjoy working on product descriptions. 

pandoraharper
Community Member

To: Sophie..

I think people gave you some excellent advice about niches. I have one and it's really tiny. But within in, I get to do several differerent things for clients, that otherwise would get billed at half my rate. No day is the same, and each client somes with challenges. Love this!

To: You Reddit folk: I am there to. Jen knows who I am. (shhh!)