cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any standard for Upwork Talent Scout Recommendations

Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
1 of 5

I mean, is there a standard for the clients or projects the talent scouts work with? I am not commenting on the talent scouts themselves.

I recently received a recommendation from a scout for an "SEO writing job." The budget was $450 for a month of articles. I normally pass these by, but it was recommended. The client had no hiring history and did not have a verified payment method. The post said they wanted to hire four freelancers.

I accepted the interview and asked for more information about the project including how many articles are involved and specifics like the length of the articles, etc. I received a response today addressed to all writers suggesting I contact their hiring manager via Skype. They are interviewing 12 freelancers, as near as I can tell that is everyone who was invited. 

I think it is obvious it is a farmer. Am I too harsh? Why are Upwork "talent managers" getting involved and inviting freelancers to this type of project. I can't decline on the basis of "low budget" because the $450 is similar or higher than my other contracts. I don't write very many articles for that rate, but considering the client did not answer my specific question I assume they will want a lot of articles for this rate since they seem to follow the common pattern followed by farmers. 

Or are there scam Upwork talent scouts?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

Hi Samantha,

Just to clarify, this job was not recommended to you but the talent scout invited you on behalf of a new client to review their job post, submit a proposal and communicate with the client directly. This is part of the service we offer to new clients in order to help them find the best talent for their job. Based on your profile details and the information from the job post, it seems you're a suitable candidate for this job and the job scope and terms do match your requirements as well.

If you're not interested in the job you can withdraw your proposal. Otherwise, I see the client invited you for an interview on Skype.

Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
3 of 5

Thanks, for clarifying Vladimir,

I didn't realize that Upwork offers that service to new clients. That sounds like a great service. In this case, I wish they also encouraged the client to include the number of deliverables not just the length of time covered (i.e. one month as it says).

This is especially true with this kind of writing. So many clients list a reasonable budget, plan to hire multiple freelancers (all included in the budget), and pay $1 - $5 per article. Lately, it seems clients who work this way want 1200 words. I don't do that kind of writing, but many people do. It helps to know the deliverables involved in a fixed rate project, otherwise, it is difficult to make an educated bid. Also, knowing this helps the freelancer determine whether it may fit into his/her schedule. Including these details saves time for both the client and the freelancers. 

Also, I haven't really had legitimate clients go from proposal to "contact my manager on Skype" without any exchange of information. I usually know a little about the desired deliverables before I take communication off-platform to a Skype or phone call. To me, the suggestion that I skype their manager at any time is a bit of a flag.

However, I might be overly cautious. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 5

Samantha, I think your suspicions are right. An immediate "get on skype" thing is a red flag. And I would not bid on the job either, but I have a sneaky suspicion that the talent scouts are instructed not to judge jobs and just find people.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 5

Samantha,

Suspicions aside, I find myself telling the most promising of clients:

"Sorry, until we have a reasonably defined deliverable on which I can make a plausible bid, we don't have a basis for further conversation."

Best,
Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS