cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this the going rate for writing on Upwork?

Katerina S Member Since: May 28, 2019
11 of 14

Hey, I was reading your post because when I first started applying to jobs I thought the going rate was really low too. I started thinking like you and wondered if upwork was really the place for me or even if freelancing was really what i thought it was.

But after reading some stuff online I realised the 'going rate' is what it is because everyone just 'goes' for the 'going rate' (??).

Also, as an English teacher it pains me when people don't believe in their own language skills.... from what I've read your English is great! If you think your English is as good as a native's then add it to your languages as native or bilingual. I live in Brazil and everyone complements my Portuguese even though 7 years ago I was sat on the plane trying to figure out how to say 'how are you' (and the phrasebook was wrong!). Now people ask me if I'm from a different state at most! So I'm proud of my Portuguese, and if a client wants a native I apply anyway. As long as your work isn't full of mistakes they'll be happy. 

Don't put yourself down - the aim of the game is to make yourself stand out as being the best candidate.

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
12 of 14

Katerina S wrote:

Hey, I was reading your post because when I first started applying to jobs I thought the going rate was really low too. I started thinking like you and wondered if upwork was really the place for me or even if freelancing was really what i thought it was.

But after reading some stuff online I realised the 'going rate' is what it is because everyone just 'goes' for the 'going rate' (??).

Also, as an English teacher it pains me when people don't believe in their own language skills.... from what I've read your English is great! If you think your English is as good as a native's then add it to your languages as native or bilingual. I live in Brazil and everyone complements my Portuguese even though 7 years ago I was sat on the plane trying to figure out how to say 'how are you' (and the phrasebook was wrong!). Now people ask me if I'm from a different state at most! So I'm proud of my Portuguese, and if a client wants a native I apply anyway. As long as your work isn't full of mistakes they'll be happy. 

Don't put yourself down - the aim of the game is to make yourself stand out as being the best candidate.

Hi Katerina,

How lucky you are to live in Brazil! That's the country where I spent my childhood and early teenage years. Brazil remains in my heart, and so does the wonderful Portuguese version spoken in Brazil. I try to use it as often as I can, because I don't want to lose this treasure.

I had a look at your profile, and as a translator, I have to give a little advice: say what languages you translate from and into, and please remember that the big rule for translators is that you translate into your native language, not the other way round.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 14

Sherif G wrote:

This does limit me to applying at most to 5 jobs a month,

This seems very unlikely to me. I am a writer charging $105/hour. I write only in a narrow niche, so 90% of writing jobs on Upwork are automatically eliminated for me. And still, I see three or four possible jobs most days.

Community Leader
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
14 of 14

I also personally think your profile is over-diversified. If I'm hiring a writer to write something about healthcare or medicine, which you obviously have experiece in, it's hard for me to tell you are the best person for the job based on your current bio. 

I could be wrong but it seems overly diversified, and my business mentors always tell me to market what you do best, not the kitchen sink. I specialize in a specific kind of writing, and I'm making plenty doing it. Or maybe this is a way to do a specialized profile. So you'd have one that just general, and one that's healthcare or your speciality. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS