🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Just started, Rising Talent. Cant land a job....
Page options
alejandro_garay
Community Member

Just started, Rising Talent. Cant land a job. - NEED HELP

Hello everybody !

I've recently joined this platform and was actually looking to start a career here

Im a translator based in Buenos Aires Argentina. i've been working locally but found out about UpWrok and wanted to start working here.

Since i've started, i've made several proposals, taken the necesary tests and the only response i've gotten is from people who want to buy my account.

Since upwork moved me to the Rising talent program i thought it would go smoothly, but it hasn't 

Can i get some expertise or some advice on how to start landing projects and how to grow my network on this platform ? 

thank you so much for taking the time  !

Best, Ale.

3 REPLIES 3
mystudiomke
Community Member

Stay persistent and consistent. It takes times. 

You will hear that translators on this site are over saturated and that is why you're possibly not getting jobs. That could be 100% the case. But I also believe anything is possible and if you want it bad enough it will happen. 

Continue studying what other successful freelancers are doing, continue updating your profile, make your bio stand out, and have samples ready.

Hope that helps,

Lila

Alejandro,

As Lila says, it takes time. English>Spanish is also one of the most popular language pairs for translation  on the internet not just Upwork, so you are up against some serious competition. 

However, you need to work on your profile.First of all, there are many mistakes in your overview that show your English is not native/bilingual, so tone it down to fluent.  Only offer to translate into your native language which is Spanish. 

The first three lines of your overview are very important, as this is what the client sees initially, so you must be able to show what you can do for clients in the way of translation in this space. So start with the sort of subjects you are comfortable translating. At the moment you have not highlighted any skills at all. It goes without saying that clients would expect top quality and personal service etc. These are not skills, they are part of the freelancer's arsenal. 

You also need to upload a portfolio to showcase what you can do. If you don't already have one, then create one. Ask around for permission to translate articles and to display publicly, or translate work that is in the public domain and is not restricted by copyright.   

alejandro_garay
Community Member

Thank you both so much for taking the time to help another freelancer !

i'll do my best to polish my profile and to keep a positive attitude then.

whatever advice i get, it helps me out a lot, no matter how little.

Best, Ale.