🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Re: Laughable Transcription rate
Page options
tsemay
Community Member

Laughable Transcription rate

Hi all,

So I have received this one hour footage requires professional knowledge of medical, para-legal and sociology with in depth understanding of a country's social service system and native fluence of the language - with a rate of USD50. I would say it is not the worst when compared to the other offer on Upwork, but still I got scammed with my cilent ran away without paying. Well, that's another story, but you have to scam someone for just 50 bucks, I can't imagine how a legit task could offer. 

I feel so sorry for the professional transcriber here. No one pays for words and content anymore.

4 REPLIES 4
jrybacki
Community Member

That sounds like a terrible experience. Sorry you went through that. 😕 

I agree that transcription and copy writing can be incredibly underpaid and undervalued. I recommend perhaps exploring specializing your content and writing towards SEO practices, then seeking out SEO related work. It is still a lot of "grunt work" but typically pays much better compared to transcribing. 

Good luck!

tlsanders
Community Member

I've posted transcription jobs on Upwork before, and about 75% of the bids I've received have been for $60/hour of tape. I looked around at some postings on other sites, and it seemed like $1/recorded minute was pretty standard. I agree there should be a premium for specialization, but this doesn't seem that far off from what is often presented as the "normal" rate for transcription.

I quoted $5 per hour for transcription but unfortunately didnt get any project😔
foxywriter
Community Member

Yes right. We kind of feel that way sometimes. Some job posts here are being inappropriate or inconsiderate of one's professionalism and talent. But what's good about this platform is that it doesn't discriminate both freelancers and founders/companies. This platform exists also not just to help one side of the business but both i.e. Freelance businesses (freelancers) and Contracting or outsourcing businesses (founders/companies.) Because matter of fact is, one can have the same role. 

If my role calls for being a founder of a startup for today, my perspective would be, I'd be needing someone to pay for the least amount of more likely a professional result. So I'd chose ENTRY OR INTERMEDIATE level for such freelancer. On the other hand, if my role for today calls for being a freelancer, I'd seek the ad that's right fit for me...usually INTERMEDIATE level. EXPERT level requires advanced or specialized skill, and so it should be paid well enough!

As a job hunter, our role is to seek that best placement for ourselves....and should we find unreasonable or demeaning ad the likes of scam or bully types...we can always FLAG IT - by clicking on THUMBS DOWN on the far right side part of the ad. This if you do your role, would eliminate such ad and makes this marketplace the best choice I've ever been....and so do you!

Striving to make this community the best place by doing our small but might part.