🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Lawyers Seeking Non-Legal Proofreading and Co...
Page options
mako591
Community Member

Lawyers Seeking Non-Legal Proofreading and Copy-editing Work

Hello,

I am new to Upwork and a lawyer interested currently in NON-LEGAL proofreading and copy-editing jobs. Although I believe I've developed a strong proofreading skill set through lawyering transferable to other projects, I'm wondering if that point is coming through effectively on my profile (see current version below). Does anyone who has made a similar transition have advice on that front? Or any feedback about what works or what doesn't about the below draft profile? 

Thanks very much,

Margaret

Draft

I am a lawyer with 6 plus years of experience proofreading and editing court filings. As a former litigation associate who has prepared countless briefs and other documents for demanding readers such as courts and corporate clients, I am an expert proofreader with a sharp eye for style, factual accuracy, and internal consistency in writing. I’m also happy to assist you with content-editing for big-picture concerns such as narrative flow, message, and organization. Although my primary background is in editing court filings, my robust skill set extends to letters, resumes, proposals, articles, personal statements, web content, or anything else for which you need another set of exacting eyes. With a broad background in business litigation, I am particularly adept at getting up to speed on new subject matter so I can engage as meaningfully as possible with the content of your project. In the same vein, I'm accustomed to delivering high-quality work under strict deadlines.

2 REPLIES 2
tlbp
Community Member

Way too much information and far too much emphasis on being an attorney, IMO. I'm a retired attorney. I can't say that my profile is ideal, but it works for me. (My emphasis is writing rather than proofreading.) Feel free to have a look. You might also check out other proofreader profiles for examples of what works and what doesn't. 

mako591
Community Member

Thanks for your thoughts!