cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Expert Freelancers at $1 per 100 words???

Highlighted
Charles J Member Since: Jan 16, 2017
1 of 17

Hi.

You'll have to forgive me as I've never worked from the client side of Upwork.

Is there a rule or any penalty for clients using misleading information in proposals? I was recently asked to interview for a project with a healthy budget and requested an Expert Level freelancer. I accepted the interview - using my very best cover lettering and fully answering the five further questions the client asked in the invitation - and then was told they didn't have the budget to pay more than $1 per 100 words.

I don't mean to sound greedy but that seems to be barely up to Intermediate Level rates for fiction writing and, had I known they were only looking to pay the lowest rates, I needn't have wasted my time applying. Are clients allowed to request experts at expert rates and not follow through?

I wanted to ask an Upwork moderator but I haven't found a way to do that.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 17

Charles, in this situation there is no penalty as far as I know. Take your (time) losses and send a big Lol to the client. And forget about it.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
3 of 17

Thanks Rene, I kind of figured as much!

Is there no way to let Upwork know? Beyond leaving it as a reason for withdrawing a proposal?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 17

There is no reason to bug the customer service for this since it's not a violation and there is nothing that they can/will do.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 17

However, there should be harder rules about how clients post their job offers. If a client  deliberately misleads freelancers as to budget, as seems to be the case here, the client should at least get a smacked wrist and the freelancer(s) should have their connects returned. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 17

As freelancers, we never need to agree to a bad deal. We never need to "obey" a bad request from a client.

But we always need to be polite. You make more money and I make more money from Upwork if the site has a positive reputation among clients. It helps nobody to be rude to any clients.

If a freelancer is rude to a client, then the client can and should report that freelancer to Upwork. And Upwork should suspend or terminate the freelancer's account, depending on the severity of the infraction.

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
7 of 17

@Preston H wrote:

As freelancers, we never need to agree to a bad deal. We never need to "obey" a bad request from a client.

But we always need to be polite. You make more money and I make more money from Upwork if the site has a positive reputation among clients. It helps nobody to be rude to any clients.

If a freelancer is rude to a client, then the client can and should report that freelancer to Upwork. And Upwork should suspend or terminate the freelancer's account, depending on the severity of the infraction.

Preston brings up a salient point.

All it takes is one client to flag your response as inappropriate. It may not even be an egregiously rude response. What matters to Upwork is how the client interprets what you're communicating.

So, yeah, just decline and move on. Seriously. I don't think you want your account suspended because you sent an LOL to the client. And yes, it can be something as simple as that!

8 of 17

I'm fairly certain Rene wasn’t talking about actually LOLing a client.

I think most of us here understand we don’t get far if we’re rude to clients.

I simply asked the client if they’d made an error in the original job posting – that does happen – and politely explained that I couldn’t work for that rate.

I was merely hoping someone in the community knew if I could get Upwork to politely point out that the client should take a little more when posting a job description, so that no more freelancers waste time they don’t have.

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
9 of 17

@Charles J wrote:

I'm fairly certain Rene wasn’t talking about actually LOLing a client.

I think most of us here understand we don’t get far if we’re rude to clients.

I simply asked the client if they’d made an error in the original job posting – that does happen – and politely explained that I couldn’t work for that rate.

I was merely hoping someone in the community knew if I could get Upwork to politely point out that the client should take a little more when posting a job description, so that no more freelancers waste time they don’t have.

When it comes to human psychology, don't be certain of anything in terms of how people interpret responses.

I hope you're not taking offense to my response (speaking of that...and I'm gauging tone here).

I've had first hand experience with something benign being interpreted as "rude" to a client. So, it's not coming from a place of being mean, or rude. I'm offering a heads up to tread carefully when responding to clients.

It's been requested many times that Upwork take some sort of action regarding the posting of such rates...

And, well, those rates are still here Smiley Happy 

Ok. Back to work for me....deadlines and everything...

ETA:  I love Rene's responses, and it wasn't a direct response at him. It was a concurring response with Preston. 

10 of 17

I only said fairly certainSmiley Tongue

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS