cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Looking for a good writing book

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
1 of 7

I recently purchased (at 70% discount!) a book called How To Write Short by a guy called Roy Peter Clark. I didn't read the reviews nor do I know the author but I think being able to convey your thoughts and opinions under 300 (or even fewer) words speaks of how a writer can say a lot without wasting ink.

How to write midget

I don't really write stuff under 300 words (what many consider as quick blogs) and I'm not into 160-character poetry either but I figured I needed something to refresh my writing cells specially when it comes to my line of work.

The book's a short read so I figured I'll worm my way out of this in a day or two. In the mean time, maybe you can share some new writing books for new and veteran writers alike. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 7

It's kinda funny because clients think more words = more value, and I tell people that sometimes more words = terrible article because I have to fluff. Fluffing makes me want to kill myself, because I find that I'm just putting words on the screen.

I recently had someone want a PR at 700 words. God it was terrible. But they think more words means a better article and it doesn't work that way.

It's better to get to the point, but you get these SEO exparts that tell people more words is better for search engines (no, that's not true) and people want you to fluff to a word count. Sometimes the topic can be an entire book, so it's fine to want a high word count but other times it's so ridiculous. 

The best jobs I've found are ones where they give you a topic and you write what you know without any word count limitations. Sometimes I write 500 words and other times I can write 1500 (I get bored after that lol). 

Chris B Member Since: Dec 22, 2016
3 of 7

Two books every writer should own:

The Elements of Style by Strunk and White

Favorite writing tip: "Rather, very, little, pretty--these are the leeches that infest the pond of prose, sucking the blood of words."

On Writing by Stephen King

Favorite writing tip: "The road to hell is paved with adverbs."

Highlighted
Community Leader
Nick B Member Since: Sep 11, 2015
4 of 7

'On Writing' is great but King regularly breaks his own rules; I remember a page from 'Under The Dome' that had about ten adverbs! In moderation they're fine Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
5 of 7

@N B wrote:

'On Writing' is great but King regularly breaks his own rules; I remember a page from 'Under The Dome' that had about ten adverbs! In moderation they're fine Smiley Happy

Thank YOU!

I've always cringed at that "rule."

Use them...but strategically so hahahaha!

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 7

Real writers don't need books. They need editors - real editors (so many editors forget their role).

Ace Contributor
Jim W Member Since: Jan 26, 2017
7 of 7

The ONE best writing book I have ever read and consider it GOLD is "Elements of Style" by Strunk & White.  Its a tome on brevity of expression, but it has stuck with me in all the years of writing radio scripts, term papers in college, and the book I published some years ago. It is priceless, and a "tome for its time", as describled by a fellow author. Can't recommend it enough! 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS