🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Looking for advice on client relationship
Page options
bbrondsted
Community Member

Looking for advice on client relationship

Hello good Upwork people!

7 days ago I submitted a job for payment for a rush job started and completed on the same day. It is fixed-price and money is secured in escrow. Client has not been in touch in any way since job was submitted. 

One the one hand I guess I could just do nothing, and in 7 days I'd get paid. 

But as this was my first job and I'd like to build a good JSS, I was thinking of reaching out to the client, asking if they were satisfied with the job and if there was anything else I could do to help out.

If they say no, then I would ask them to close the contract, which, as I understand it, would both release the funds to me, as well as force them to leave a reply. 

Have I understood how it works correctly, and, in your opinion, is this a good approach?

If not, what would you recommend?

12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

For me, I never ask a client to close a fixed-price contract until I have been paid.

I don't want to confuse them.

Because the question could arise:

Is the client supposed to cancel the contract and request funds back, or release payment and then close the contract?

I also don't ask clients to release payment.

I don't think there is anything wrong with sending a short note and asking if the client needed anything else or had any questions.

But usually I just submit the work and wait to get paid.

I very well may ask a client to close a fixed-price contract AFTER payment has been released to me.

Thanks for your reply.

"But usually I just submit the work and wait to get paid.

I very well may ask a client to close a fixed-price contract AFTER payment has been released to me."

Can I assume that this doesn't negatively affect my JSS in any way?

Also, do you ever ask clients
a) to leave feedback, or is that something that they have to do automatically?

b) to use the project in your portfolio, or is that bad practice?

re: "Also, do you ever ask clients
a) to leave feedback, or is that something that they have to do automatically?"

No. I never do that.

You should never do that.

If a client closes a contract, he MUST leave feedback.

There is no way to close a contract without leaving feedback.

re: "Also, do you ever ask clients
b) to use the project in your portfolio, or is that bad practice?"

That is totally fine.

Bjorn, you should always ask if it is permissible to use the work in your U portfolio and also on any other website - your own; Behance, LinkedIn, etc.

It's definitely possible to close a contract without leaving feedback, both for the freelancer and the client. I personally had one bad experience where I asked a new client to close a contract and leave feedback and they got upset and left me a two star rating, which is worse than no rating. I now wait to push or request feedback until I feel I've built up more of a rapport with the client. Your mileage may vary however. 

Chloe F wrote:

It's definitely possible to close a contract without leaving feedback,

WAT

Yes, keep a lookout on client pages you will often see "no feedback given". I've had it happen with long-term clients too.

Chloe F wrote:
Yes, keep a lookout on client pages you will often see "no feedback given". I've had it happen with long-term clients too.

No, whoever closes the contract *must* leave feedback. After 2 weeks, both reviews show. It's impossible to close a contract without leaving feedback.

Upwork seems to batch or delay updates to profiles, so it seems like it takes a while before these things show, but nobody can close a contract without leaving feedback.

I don't think this is the case- I always leave feedback but if one party closes the contract the other can definitely opt not to rate in which case neither review displays as far as I can tell.

Hi Chloe, 

I can confirm that the information Jennifer has shared is correct. The party that closes the contract is automatically prompted to leave feedback. Once feedback has been given by the "closing party," the other party has 14-days to leave feedback on the contract. The system is double-blind, and the feedback will only show on the client's, and freelancer's acount once both parties leave feedback, or if the feedback period expires, whichever comes first. 

You may read more about leaving feedback on a contract in this help article.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks for sharing. I've got the money so there was no issue in that sense, but I don't know if the client closed the contract, and it doesn't seem like a review was left. But given what you've experienced, I think I am just going to wait for client to offer it up by themselves rather than push for it and risk a backlash.