Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Pay expecting expertise - Move to a lowcost platform

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
11 of 21

Fifty thousand words is on the short end for most novels, and near the middle for the range of most self-help books. It's not an unreasonable figure to use for illustration when someone speaks of writing or editing a "book."

As Tiffany's post acknowledges, e-books are often shorter, and $1200 is an example of a low rate in her market for 7500 words.

It is disheartening how often information about markets, and encouragement of strategies for thriving in them, are received as an "attack."

jillvance
Jill V Member Since: Sep 20, 2019
12 of 21

I am removing this as I want no further attacks by Tiffany who I have never met but who claims she  knows all about me.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
13 of 21

Buyers come in all sizes ... from cheapos to generous IF the work is top notch.  Jill, you've been around for a while as a freelance writer and you know this.  OP might not ...

Any buyer who tries to bargain on quotes is not worth a professional's time.  They'll never get it.

Wise WordsWise Words

mbugua_brian
Brian M Member Since: Oct 17, 2019
14 of 21
Well said
jillvance
Jill V Member Since: Sep 20, 2019
15 of 21

I have had more than one problem, with clients wanting to pay low rates. The post Tiffany replied to did not state the word count on that job. She is quick to 'know' what other people's problems are without knowing the people and with no way to actually know what their problems are

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
16 of 21

Jill, the advice offered in the forums is general in that none of us can 'be in the other person's mind'.  We are not mind readers nor are we sounding boards for petulant pouts. 

What we are - at least I hope - are volunteers who try to offer the best possible advice based on our success rates and experienced observations.

Please remember that far more people than just you use our replies as guidelines. As such, all advice is given is applicable to others as well as to you.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
17 of 21

Jill V wrote:

I am removing this as I want no further attacks by Tiffany who I have never met but who claims she  knows all about me.

Was this the one where you mentioned the word count, then?

FYI, when you "bid on and win" a job, that information shows up on your profile (unless/until you have it removed or issue a full refund) and anyone who is interested can click through and look at the post details.

I'm sorry you choose to perceive information you disagree with as an attack. That's usually a strong indicator that a freelancer will be frustrated and struggling throughout her career.

nkscouting
Nelson K Member Since: Oct 11, 2019
18 of 21

The first time I saw sites like this, I was struck by how they remind me of dating sites.

In dating sites, there is a shortage  of single, American women under 30.

In online work sites, there is a shortage of people with money who are looking to hire. Most of the members are people looking for work, not offering work.

In other words, there are an estimated 3 billion websites on the internet, and many (most?) are redundant.

On the other hand, there are some similar sites that allow employers to post outright scams. At least upwork isn't like that.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
19 of 21

Nelson K wrote:

The first time I saw sites like this, I was struck by how they remind me of dating sites.

In dating sites, there is a shortage  of single, American women under 30.

In online work sites, there is a shortage of people with money who are looking to hire. Most of the members are people looking for work, not offering work.

In other words, there are an estimated 3 billion websites on the internet, and many (most?) are redundant.

On the other hand, there are some similar sites that allow employers to post outright scams. At least upwork isn't like that.

You **Edited for Community Guidelines** appear to be annoyed that there are not that many women under 30 (most of them are probably working on their careers or working on juggling their kids with careers). Your remark also seems to imply that the women under 30 who do have profiles on dating sites somehow fall short of your exacting standards. 

However, I do agree, that when work sites take a hand in trying to match people, and for the most part signally fail (and Upwork is no exception), there is a sort of parallel to be drawn.

On Upwork and anywhere else, there are daily, dozens of scam job offers and invitations, which Upwork does its best to catch. Nevertheless, It is down to canny, and experienced freelancers to avoid them. Much as it is down to canny under 30-year old women to watch out for **Edited for Community Guidelines**!  

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
20 of 21

Nelson K wrote:

....In online work sites, there is a shortage of people with money who are looking to hire. Most of the members are people looking for work, not offering work.

According to Upwork, "active" clients outnumber "earning" freelancers by about 27%.

Upwork 375K earning.png

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS