cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lucrative and Easy No-Value Writing Work

Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
1 of 4

There are hundreds of job posts for business plans "to get funding." I won't waste clients' money, and never apply. Farmers, using business plan-writing software, are getting rich.

A BP exists to plan the business; it is also used as part of seeking funding, but that's not its purpose. Outside government, there is no standard format or length for a business plan. A BP is merely a story about where you are, where you're going, how you'll get there, and what reasonable results you'll achieve. Software does not write stories, and the absolute best software on the market is hopeless at producing financials. Thus, the BPs are cookie-cutter and of zero value. But, it's a BP and has gorgeous meaningless graphics.

These go for $50 to $250 a pop and can be produced in one to three hours by anyone who can use word processing and spreadsheet software. I am not suggesting a freelancer be unethical; I'm suggesting that these sheep are going to be fleeced anyway, and cookie-cutter documents by competent writers at least are better-written. And, you might be able to convince the client to pay for a worthwhile BP. Mine go for $3K+, but are baked from scratch with assumption-based financials.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
2 of 4

@Bill H wrote:

There are hundreds of job posts for business plans "to get funding." I won't waste clients' money, and never apply. Farmers, using business plan-writing software, are getting rich.

A BP exists to plan the business; it is also used as part of seeking funding, but that's not its purpose. Outside government, there is no standard format or length for a business plan. A BP is merely a story about where you are, where you're going, how you'll get there, and what reasonable results you'll achieve. Software does not write stories, and the absolute best software on the market is hopeless at producing financials. Thus, the BPs are cookie-cutter and of zero value. But, it's a BP and has gorgeous meaningless graphics.

These go for $50 to $250 a pop and can be produced in one to three hours by anyone who can use word processing and spreadsheet software. I am not suggesting a freelancer be unethical; I'm suggesting that these sheep are going to be fleeced anyway, and cookie-cutter documents by competent writers at least are better-written. And, you might be able to convince the client to pay for a worthwhile BP. Mine go for $3K+, but are baked from scratch with assumption-based financials.

Here's the thing about business plans- they are based on thumb-suck figures/financials, no matter how qualified the person that does the thumbsucking is, and banks know this.

Here is why I say this; when I needed finance to start my car repair shop about thirty years ago, the banks told me to find an expensive accountant, and to have this person draw up a business plan. 

When I presented the business plan - all very nicely printed and bound - most banks told me that my financial projections were extemely ambitious, and that I could not possibly achieve the projected turnover.  

The (very expensive accountant/auditor) who drew up the business plan then revised the projections downward by 10%, and the same banks then told me that based on the revised figures,I could not possibly make a living. So what good is a business plan?

In the end, I just used my own money, and I have never had need of any bank, for anything, since except using their credit card machines so customers can pay me. It was a hard slog to be sure, but the shop became very successful very fast, despite the banks saying that it won't, or can't. Business plans? Pfhttt...no matter who writes them.    

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 4

"Lucrative" and "getting rich" are big words to throw around in connection with $50-250 jobs. 

Sure, a farmer can work on volume, but how does it play out? The farmer takes the job for $250, farms it out at $125, pays $50 in fees and gets $75...making even a basic middle-class living would require churning about 100 of these/month. Does Upwork really offer that type of volume in this area?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
4 of 4

Tiffany. Does Upwork really offer that type of volume in this area? Yes. Several farmers gross more than $100K/year.

Reiner: You had a business plan, just didn't write it down. That's fine. The farmers always show glorious profits. I tell entrepreneurs seeking funding to use conservative financial projections. The best words you can hear from an investor, besides "here's the check," are "I think you'll do better than this."

I've looked at dozens of business plans with hockey-stick financial projections. They lose their shirts for three straight years, and suddenly a miracle occurs and their net profits soar above the GDP of Belgium. Gimme a break.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS