Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machine translation editing

Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
11 of 17

@ Svetlana --

It's not the content to which I object. It's the triteness and the style of the typical high-schooler's navel-gazing, melodramatic, unoriginal palette of hackneyed angst that sets my teeth on edge.

Note the qualifiers: (1) "typical" ; (2) "high-schooler's."

Perhaps I should clarify that when I referred above to "worst of the 'poets,' " the antecedent of "poets" was, in this case, the moody high-school girls in question (hence the cringing quotation marks) -- not (for example) Shakespeare, author of King Lear, Hamlet, etc. In fact, one of my favorite French authors is the deliciously morose Maurice Sceve. And my all-time favorite French poem is the haunting, melancholy "Sous le Pont Mirabeau." But schoolgirls rarely write with the skill of Sceve or Apollinaire.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
12 of 17

@Preston H wrote:

(...) who writes poetry any more?

Vogons do. And it ain't pretty.

Then, chances of being exposed to Vogon poetry equals the chances of Earth being destroyed to make place for a galactic highway.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
13 of 17

Always bring a towel. 

Community Guru
14 of 17

dont_panic_carry_towel1-e1368722242612.jpg

-----------
Svetlana E Member Since: Aug 24, 2016
15 of 17

Sarfaraz B

Oh yes! I agree. I read the Harry Potter episodes by AI myself : )) It's amazing and I am mezmerized every time seeing that this "fake" mind is not such a fake after all...

But again, it (should I say her?) writes from scratch. Do you think it's the same algorithm as our mind follows for finding the best equivalent of a symbol in a different system for a given context? don't forget about cultural discrepancies too )

Thank you for the link. I will surely check on the poetry.

Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
16 of 17

MT post editing is something that is requested more and more even by translation agencies. Opinions vary about this trend, some refuse it, others view it as an inevitable shift in the industry.

I use a CAT and one of the features of a CAT is machine pre-translation. Of course, the quality the version of Google Translator that you can find on Google is too low to be used in MT post edition, but there are commercial APIs that CAT tools can use, which combined with a translation memory, provide an output that is very usable for post editing.

Once you know your CAT tool and once you link it to few MT resources (for a fee), post editing may become a time saver for some kind of documents. This is especially true with technical translations and, I find, with some IT related translations. Probably because this is a field that is well covered by commercial translation memories.

For literature, news, and all general language content, MT and translation memories are not very useful. With this kind of material, you often spend the same amount of time post editing the MT than translating from scratch. If not more.

I could write for hours about MT and translation in general, for now, however, I will spare you, poor mortals :-)

-----------
Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
17 of 17

Machine translation and CAT tools are only as good as the database they are built on.

For those of you who know a little German the following examples by some incorrigible mirth-mongers (How's that for poetic creativity?...Okay, maybe not so good.) might be of interest:

"50 Schraube Auge Kautionen"   (Guessed it? -- " 50 Screw bails")

"...können Sie für fast nichts ab!" ("...you can pick them up for next to nothing!")

When it comes to correct language use, nothing beats my brain! (Self-aggrandizing quote of the day.)

(PS:    Hey, UW! Messages can be edited? Great, thanks! I will no longer fear...)