Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meaning of word in Chinese

Ace Contributor
Trevor J Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
1 of 10

Hello!

I'm trying to find out if the word "Jago," translates phonetically into anything in Chinese. I tried one translation site which came up with two characters, one of which meant "distinguished person" and the other, "spear." So I wanted to ask a Chinese speaker if they would take pity on me and suggest whether this sound "Jago", if pronounced would mean that, or anything at all? Thank you! 

Community Guru
Carlos L Member Since: Apr 24, 2016
2 of 10

I have no pity on you only curiosity so what is it for?  find a Chinese alphabet phonetically referenced and find out which is the letter that sound as ja and after as go, you will be able to find out the word if anything match and you after will can translate too easy, that is all.

Ace Contributor
3 of 10

Thanks, good idea.

Ace Contributor
4 of 10

Oh, to satisfy your curiosity...I've submitted it as part of a job to name something that might be used by Chinese people, so I just need to convince the job poster that it isn't potentially negative.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 10

As you probably know, Chinese is a tonal language which means that the same word can mean different things depending on how it's pronounced.

If it's important to you and/or your client that the name not be offensive, then why not hire a freelancer to confirm that?

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
6 of 10

It might be a good idea to indicate *your* pronounciation of Jago (jay-go? jah-go? yah-go? ) in case anyone Chinese pops in. 

Ace Contributor
7 of 10

Thanks, a good point.

Ace Contributor
8 of 10

Pronunciation would be "Jay-go." 

Karen T Member Since: Jul 12, 2016
9 of 10

結構 in Traditional Chinese, 结构 in Simplified Chinese. It means structure, and reads: "jie gou" - close enough to "jay go"!

Ace Contributor
10 of 10

Thank you! I appreciate your help.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS